mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I bent my saddle?

if this belongs in another forum, let me know please. wasnt sure where to put this....

after a wreck, which didn't do too much damage on me, i noticed one of the rails on my saddle was bent so that the rear corner is higher than the rest of the seat. i thought the saddle would be able to take it but i've been wrong before. do saddles often get bent or is this typical of a stock saddle on a $600 bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    It just depends on the nature of the crash. I've hit rocks hidden in the trail at 20 mph and tumbled down hills without a scratch, and I've also tipped over in rock gardens barely moving and caused permanent damage to my knee, it really just depends what lands where. I think I have a WTB seat in my garage you could have for the cost of shipping if it would help you out. Just PM if you want it

Freshly Fujified

It happens

Quote Originally Posted by mcscars View Post
    do saddles often get bent or is this typical of a stock saddle on a $600 bike?
    I don't know that a more expensive saddle wouldn't have bent in the crash. Try bending the rail back, or spend $30 on a new saddle. You can dind a decent WTB saddle on sale in that range.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Balls of Steel!

mtbr member
    I'm an Instructor at my university and at least from my experience a participant manages to bend the rails or plastic of our saddles every couple of trips or so... we keep a good back stock of WTB's now

It's not typical of a stock saddle to break "easily" but unfortunately if you manage to crash in the right spot or right way just once it can happen. often you can see the stress in the plastic which would mean it's pretty much hosed - I've never tried to bend back rails though, maybe that would work if it's not too extreme?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I bent my saddle equal amounts on the rail on each side, I still use it and works just fine, I didn't even notice it was bent until the guys at m lbs pointed it out.

Huckin' trails
    Basic saddles are mostly disposable... But if you rail is metal and the rails can be removed, then remove it and try to bend it back... Maybe by using a propane torch to heat up the metal you could manage to get it back in place without to much fatigue to the rail...

But if I were you, I would go with my feeling about how bad it is... I'm not a heavy weight at all, so I usually don't run into that kind of problem (dealing with great body weight on damage parts), but if it looks bad, just go at your LBS and get another saddle and keep this one for extra if you ever need it...

Also, if you could post a pic, we would be more able to tell you how bad it is...

At least you didn't broke a $200 saddle with carbon rails

Check if the seat if loose on the rails too. If it's plastic armature, the structure might be compromised.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

The perfessor
    I've got a WTB saddle I bent last year and I figured out how to bend it back........I still replaced it but I keep it as a second in case something happens (that WTB saddle was darn comfy).........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Basic saddles are mostly disposable... But if you rail is metal and the rails can be removed, then remove it and try to bend it back... Maybe by using a propane torch to heat up the metal you could manage to get it back in place without to much fatigue to the rail...

But if I were you, I would go with my feeling about how bad it is... I'm not a heavy weight at all, so I usually don't run into that kind of problem (dealing with great body weight on damage parts), but if it looks bad, just go at your LBS and get another saddle and keep this one for extra if you ever need it...

Also, if you could post a pic, we would be more able to tell you how bad it is...

At least you didn't broke a $200 saddle with carbon rails

Check if the seat if loose on the rails too. If it's plastic armature, the structure might be compromised.

David
    ill post a pic when i figure out how (or if i've posted enough for the forum to let me...)

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL. Oops.

I was really bummed out when I broke the plastic shell on "my" saddle, which I'd found on EBay because it hasn't been made in about a decade.

It happens. The rails are not that strong, and if you get tangled up with the nose of the saddle or part of the back of it the right way, it's pretty easy to bend one.

Honestly, you're probably best off with inexpensive saddles with chromoly rails. Especially solid ones. The outside diameter of the saddle rail is set, so it's not like they can just make them bigger like with tubes made of weaker materials.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Picture Unrelated
    I've bent more saddle rails than I can count. Sometimes it happens, nothing you can practically do about it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    When you wreck all bets are off; anything can and will break. I've been lucky so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I bent my saddle?-photo0142.jpg  

~Disc~Golf~
    just do right hand turns
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    it actually isnt bothering me funny enough

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcscars View Post
    it actually isnt bothering me funny enough
    If it ain't bothering you leave it alone....on the other hand go and ride a 6 hour ride...it'll bother you...

Depends on the metal, some will break if you straighten them...some won't...

Some will break if you ride them again....some will just bend more.

Personnally time for a new saddle.