1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I am 'one' with the trees ...

Hello all,

Firstly, let me say I love this site. It has honestly helped me to get started properly in this mountain biking adventure and because of that, I love it IMMENSELY.

Been riding for 3 weeks now with the intentions of getting healthier and I just love it so much.

Well, after tackling the easy trails, a buddy of mine and I decided to go hit some intermediate trails this morning. We were out there for 3 hours and we had a blast!

On the second trail I decided to be the spider clearer (he hates spiders :P) and was really just feeling it and having a blast when my left shoulder clipped a tree and I over compensated and drove right into another tree on the other side of the trail. It was awesome!!! Laughed my butt off and told my buddy "well - it's official. I am a real mountain biker now. WOOhooo!"

Later on in the day we were trying to find some more trails and were riding a doublewide in the not-really-used part of the preserve and ventured into some tall grass. At the same moment that I decided to stand up and power through it (not to mention my butt hurt), my front tire decided it needed to find a nice little hole. Needless to say conditions were perfect for me to go over the bars with the bike landing on me. Laughed my ass off again.

God, it was an awesome day!! I love this stuff.

I told my wife that I smacked two trees and flipped over the bars and how much fun I had. SHe thinks I am crazy. I am sure you all understand though.

-Keith

No good in rock gardens..
    At least you can laugh about it - some endo's are not quite as fun.....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I understand. My wife is just learning and she thinks it is crazy how many tims I almost wreck or clip a tree and laugh it off.

I carry this over into other sports as well. Last winter while skiing a snowboarder fell in front of me, I turned too sharp to avoid him ended up booting out and cartwheeling into a baby tree leaving a trail of bark. Got home with huge bruises across my ribs and a big smile. She thinks I'm insane.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

That's the end result of not paying attention and trying to knock down a tree with my shoulder. So much fun.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Treesmacker
    At the same moment that I decided to stand up and power through it (not to mention my butt hurt), my front tire decided it needed to find a nice little hole. Needless to say conditions were perfect for me to go over the bars with the bike landing on me. Laughed my ass off again.

God, it was an awesome day!! I love this stuff.

I told my wife that I smacked two trees and flipped over the bars and how much fun I had. SHe thinks I am crazy. I am sure you all understand though.

-Keith
    its even more fun when your cliped in
    i did the same thing, and when my back hit the ground after my head, the bike launched after it unclipped about 10 feet away

took a shoe with it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaineikans

That's the end result of not paying attention and trying to knock down a tree with my shoulder. So much fun.

thats it? no blood? and you call that a crash......

Glad you had fun
    Brian <---- that would be me.

SHIFT_life

mtbr member
    Yeah, wrecks are actually fun. I don't bail much these days (maybe I'm not pushing myself?), but when I do, it's awesome.

One time I slid out while bombing down a gravel fire road, and shredded my whole right leg, and the palms of my hands. I was pulling pebbles out of the wounds all afternoon, and it burned in the shower, but damn if I didn't get the biggest adrenaline rush as soon as I picked myself up off the ground. For the rest of the ride I felt like a kid on caffeine, and the next day I bought a pair of gloves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i like tree's .. they are my friends .. have saved me from many a nasty spill .. course one of these days i am gonna reach out to grab a tree while falling .. and that tree is gonna beat my ass