1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I am becoming a fickle consumer and I hate it!!!

I started out being told about the Giant Talon, had my heart set on it, then began doing a little research and saw the DB Overdrive Comp. I think it is an awesome bike. Well, as of last night I stumbled on the Novara Ponderosa and now I am ticked at myself because I will ponder this bike for a few days and go back and forth about which bike is the better buy. Any thoughts out there between the Novara Ponderosa and the DB Overdrive Comp???

Fat-tired Roadie
    Just go ride some bikes. Really.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Novara has the Suntour Raidon air fork you need for trail riding. It is a little better than the RockShox coil on the DB Comp. Both are good for trails.
    With some of the discounts at REI on their bikes the price should be pretty good.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    I started out being told about the Giant Talon, had my heart set on it, then began doing a little research and saw the DB Overdrive Comp. I think it is an awesome bike. Well, as of last night I stumbled on the Novara Ponderosa and now I am ticked at myself because I will ponder this bike for a few days and go back and forth about which bike is the better buy. Any thoughts out there between the Novara Ponderosa and the DB Overdrive Comp???
    It's normal, it will go away. I like the Giant. It took me about 6-7 months to decide on my last bike, I test rode many bikes and some (my friends') I had about a hundred miles on the saddle each. I was not really picky but they were all really good

I agree with Drw, just go ride some, get the one that fit you best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    +1 for what andrew said. Ride what you can, you may find one that stands out.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Just go ride some bikes. Really.
    This.

Unless you plan on riding your bike on the internet then don't shop for a bike on the internet. Go ride bikes then, after you're rode some bikes, bike the bike you like to ride the most. It doesn't matter why you like one bike more than another it only matters that you like the bike you buy.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I did the same thing as you last year at this time. I went with the Giant Talon and never looked back. I put just under 1000 miles on it last year without any problems.

Now go pick a bike and go ride it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just a "heads up" - the Novara brand bikes at REI will be going on sale at 20% off with a member coupon starting on Friday. This is about the cheapest you'll find a new bike (non-clearance) there. I think the sale lasts about 10 days, but check it out.

I think that if you can get on the bikes you list, the bike will pick you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddeand View Post
    Just a "heads up" - the Novara brand bikes at REI will be going on sale at 20% off with a member coupon starting on Friday. This is about the cheapest you'll find a new bike (non-clearance) there. I think the sale lasts about 10 days, but check it out.

I think that if you can get on the bikes you list, the bike will pick you!
    I went to the REI by the house today and test road the bike and the guy told me the same thing about the Friday sale.....I was hooked. The bike felt good and it was lighter than I thought. The surprising thing was the shock....it seemed to work better than I anticipated. I've only read negative things about Suntour and it worked fine. It was a controlled ride but I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    I went to the REI by the house today and test road the bike and the guy told me the same thing about the Friday sale.....I was hooked. The bike felt good and it was lighter than I thought. The surprising thing was the shock....it seemed to work better than I anticipated. I've only read negative things about Suntour and it worked fine. It was a controlled ride but I have no complaints.
    The fork you've read about is the XCM, XCT and related models on many entry level bikes. But bikes go up in price each year and now even $1000 dollar bikes from Spec have this $60 retail coil fork.
    The Suntour Raidon is an air fork with a sealed compression damping oil circuit-- a totally different component with very low maintenance requirements. It's a great entry level- adv. intermediate fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The fork you've read about is the XCM, XCT and related models on many entry level bikes. But bikes go up in price each year and now even $1000 dollar bikes from Spec have this $60 retail coil fork.
    The Suntour Raidon is an air fork with a sealed compression damping oil circuit-- a totally different component with very low maintenance requirements. It's a great entry level- adv. intermediate fork.
    I cannot find a $1000 Spec bike on their website that has one of these forks. Which bike were you referring to?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I cannot find a $1000 Spec bike on their website that has one of these forks. Which bike were you referring to?
    You are correct, the bike I am looking at (the Novara Ponderosa) has the Suntour Raidon model fork on it. Believe me, in the event the fork holds up, I will roll with the fork currently on the bike. Also, I am so ignorant at this type of riding that I will not be able to really distinguish the difference in that area of riding for a while. I am just hoping the frame holds up my Clydesdale of a body frame.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't worry about the frame.

It's quite difficult to damage a hardtail frame. When people break frames, it's age and many fatigue cycles or abuse.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I rock a talon with no regrets