1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Hyper HPR 26 bike

I'm getting into mtn biking, and a friend is willing to give me a bike. It is a Hyper HPR 26. It needs a new rear wheel, tire, and brakes as it was in an accident.

My question is this a decent bike? Is it worth a few new parts? Or should I look into other bikes?

Hyper HPR 26 bike-2013-04-26-19.29.36a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    can you take a pic of the whole bike?

for a wheel and tire, get a used one on ebay or craigslist. since it's a rim brake (old style) wheel you should be able to pick up very cheaply. vbrakes are like $20 shipped even on amazon. I would look for something even cheaper used.

It's not worth any new parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hyper HPR 26 bike-2013-04-26-19.29.29z.jpg
    Here's a pic of the whole bike.

I tried to google the bike, and only thing I found was a listing on Walmart and Hyper brand bikes. Would it be worth fixing? If it's not a decent bike I would rather save my money and put it into a bike that is actually a good ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you want to in to mtn riding, then i woudl get something better. how much do you want to spend, how often will you ride, and what trail conditions are near your place?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you take a closer picture of the brakes?

Not sure if that bike should ever leave the sidewalk...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

workin' it Administrator
    It is a bicycle shaped object, just forgo the refresh and start surfing Craigslist or local bike shops for a used brand name bike, preferably something that is designed for going off road. These kind of bikes are notorious for looking like mountain bikes but having stickers saying they are not meant for off road use. That is because the suspension is just springs with little or no damping, the brakes are rudimentary and the wheels are cheap and easily damaged.
    Try this: HTFU