1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hydration Packs??

I am thinking of buying a hydration pack. It gets really annoying constantly taking off my back pack to get some water. I do have a few concerns however. First off I an concerned about the durabilty off these things. If I fall which tends to happen will the bag hold up or will i get soaked and loose all my water. Secondly how does it feel ridng with all that water slushing around on your back? I am currently looking at the Sette max flopack 70z. and the Camelback Octane 70oz.

mtbr member
    The Camelbak is quite durable I doubt that it will puncture from a fall unless you fall on something sharp, in which case your camelbak is the least of your worries. As for sloshing while you ride all you have to do is close you hydration bladder and suck on the tube until all of the air is removed from the bladder and only water remains. No sloshing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i only notice the water in mine when i hit a really large tree root and almost wipe out ..

but the weight isnt an issue at all ..

mtbr member
    As long as the bladder is sealed securely, you won't have any problems. There have been one or two times where I hadn't quite sealed it entirely and wound up with a bit of a wet back... but as long as you invert it to test before you stuff it in, it's all good in the hood.
    I have never had the bladder burst open or leak once it's been sealed properly.

Durability is not an issue either. I have been using the same pack (and it's not even a camelbak, just a cheap MEC knock-off) for probably 6~7 years.. have taken plenty of spills and there is no damage of any kind.

The pack's are very form-fitting and with the chest and waist straps, they are super-secure. Go for it, you won't look back.

it doesn't slosh at all because its basically airtight. won't even notice it when you put it on.

get a 100oz (3 liters), 70's not enough for longer rides.
    How Much Water are You Drinking?

as far as durability, it'll take one heck of a fall for you to pop it...and even then its just a matter of replacing the little plastic internal sack, which probably only costs a little more than a water bottle.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by superotto80
    I am thinking of buying a hydration pack. It gets really annoying constantly taking off my back pack to get some water. I do have a few concerns however. First off I an concerned about the durabilty off these things. If I fall which tends to happen will the bag hold up or will i get soaked and loose all my water. Secondly how does it feel ridng with all that water slushing around on your back? I am currently looking at the Sette max flopack 70z. and the Camelback Octane 70oz.
    Very durable. Mine's about 7yrs old. I've fallen and landed on my back several times. It makes a great cushion. If you fall hard enough to break the bladder, you'll be glad it was there to save your back!

There is no slushing at all if you bleed the bag before use.
    Fill with water, close, turn upside down, lift hose straight up, open bite valve, squeeze bladder untill all air escapes and water fills up the tube.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I highly recommend the platypus bags over the camelpak. The platypus has a ziplock top that will never open from the inside, but if you hang it to dry you don't get that water stuck up in the top like the camelpak. Also, they don't tast like vinyl. The bite valve is not as nice. I have an old camelpak valve on mine. They are guaranteed forever, so you just send it back for a new one.

I always leave some water in mine and it never molds that way.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just got a Camelbak Mule after riding with a backpack with water bottles and I highly recommend getting one. The water is always easy to get to. I also know how much the backpack can throw you off balance, and the Camelbak does nothing of the sort.
    I can highly recommend getting one.

mtbr member
    All I know is that I will never ride without one again. I had a small Kelty pack and I lost the lid so I filled my bottle, only have one, and went for a good long ride. I drank my water in the first 30 min and suffered the rest of the ride. I should have stopped because I went home sick as could be and got a pounding headache from dehydration. Lesson learned. A little purchasing advice, I bought a generic hydration back that has some room for carrying stuff which is usefull. When I went for my first ride with it I could hardly get any water out of it, it was really pissing me off! The mouthpiece was way to slow so I took the mouthpiece off my old Kelty and it made a HUGE difference, the water really flowed. When im sucking for air I dont have time to suck water for 5 minutes just to get a gulp. I dont know about Sette but it seems that cheap generic ones are not the way to go. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    mine is the camelbak mule as well ... i keep it full, along with a tube, pump, first aid kit, snacks, bottle of sports drink, tools ... i dont even use the waist strap (i am to big) ... but with just the shoulder ones and the chest one ... it stays in place except for the largest of bumps and drops that i hit ... but the waist strap would prevent that from happening ...

i have landed on mine once, when it was full .. and it is still working just fine ...

for the price, i would say stick with one of the major brands ... i paid less then 50$ for mine .. by shopping around.