Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

hydraition packs

Does anyone put anything besides water in there hydration packs?( I am not referring to alcohol but such as power-aid mix or anything like that)?

mtbr member
    I have read that it can be very difficult, nigh on impossible, to completely get rid of an "aftertaste" from the bladder. As such, I have only put water in mine.

Maybe others have risked it an learned differently, but I've had no reason to bother. If I want to bring a sports drink I put it in a water bottle on my bike.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    The taste does linger, that's why I stopped. Now I use water and carry food with energy/electrolytes which actually makes it easier to manage dehydration and nutrition separately.

Just because I'm thirsty doesn't mean I need more calories, and visa versa.

Works for me...

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"Suffering has a luminous beauty, and cleanses the mind in much the same way a wildfire clears an overgrown forest."
    - Mike Ferrentino

"Art is suffering"
    - Squidward Tentacles
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    – Greg LeMond

Picture Unrelated
    I use or have used a lot of products; as long as they're not sugar based they clean up pretty well generally. I have used Nuun a lot and am currently using Elete which is just an electrolyte supplement with no additional flavor. Both rinse out of the modern Camelbak reservoirs very well. No residual flavors when you are using the current style of bladder; the old bladders held flavors much more.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

undercover brother
    I only put water in mine, but I carry electrolyte squeeze packs if its really hot and humid. Powerbar/cliff bar are perfect for the extra calories.

local trails rider
    Using plain water, the bladder rarely NEEDS thorough cleaning.

Some other things that people have used can turn into interesting biology experiments very quickly.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yea, I'd stick to water. They do make powder mixes that they say are safe to use in bladder packs, but I'm not gonna chance it.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sure, i put powerade in mine. just rinse with water afterward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Does anyone put anything besides water in there hydration packs?( I am not referring to alcohol but such as power-aid mix or anything like that)?
    in the bottle i mix stuff. in the backpack its straight water.

worst case senario i use the backpack to refill the bottle and carry a small bag/bottle of whatever mix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put only water in mine and store it in the freezer when not in use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover View Post
    I put only water in mine and store it in the freezer when not in use.
    Thats another good point. Keeps bacteria from growing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan1285 View Post
    so does running through the dish washer every now and then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan1285 View Post
    I never would have thought of that. I will think about that.

I like turtles
    I only ride with Cytomax in my Osprey.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Yeah no sugary drinks for me, just plain water and ice cubes to keep me cool

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    put Gatorade in mine once... wont do that again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I usually fill mine up with ice, then a bottle of poweraide or half bottle, depending on how long the ride, then top it off with water. has worked out well so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I stick to lots of ice and water. However this thread has got me thinking about using smart water... Any flavored stuff goes in the bottle. A couple power bars in the pack as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good info. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Camelbak makes electrolyte flavor tablets. I used those for a long time. Worked well.
    I usually put a little lemon juice in my water. Keeps the container fresh and gives the water some taste.

You just have I clean the bladder after use and you'll keep it fresh. But don't use stuff that will leave a lingering taste or smell.

The Original Suspect
    I've been putting Gatorade or Powerade in my Camelback bladders for years no ill effects. Rinse thoroughly after or put in fridge until next days ride. No weird growth or aftertaste. I clean with antibacterial hand or dish soap and Camelback brushes. I live in AZ and where riding in 90+ heat is normal and water just doesn't cut it for me.

mtbr member
    I live in CT and I fill my osprey with one tray of ice, 1 32 oz bottle of gatorade and then rest water. When I come home I immediately rise the bladder, tube, and mouth piece, so far so ill side effects.

'Tis but a scratch
    Another benefit of plain old water is you can use it for an eye-rinse if you get some dirt in the eye or to clean out a fresh cut. Both are real possibilities and I have done both.

kjd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use gatorade in mine fairly often, BUT when I forget to drain it out right out it gets nasty green mold growing in it and it is a lot of work to clean it out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just h2o

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel5d View Post
    Just h2o
    Bobby Boucher, is that you?

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    My hydration pack is something I only drag out for a bigger ride - one longer than three hours. Since I'm already using bottles too and I like to have the option of water or gatorade, I just make both bottles gatorade and stick to water in the pack.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nothing yet my camelbak is on order :P

mtbr member
    What do you guys think about this?

High Sierra Wave 50 Hydration Pack - eBags.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just H2O with a few sprinkles of table salt for electrolytes. Morton Lite Salt has potassium as well as sodium. I've never tried it, but don't see how it could harm the CamelBak bladder.

I eat honey-based homemade energy gel while riding.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    If you must do a hydration pack, it's a bad place to be a cheapskate. All hydration pack bladders are not created equal (neither are the valves) and a lot of the cheap ones leak all over the place. Very annoying.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I use a lot of ice, water, and either Lemon Ginger or Peach Ginger tea. Easy to clean, and adds a wondefully refreshing flavor that lasts even through the ice melting and the water warming up. Clean up is no problem.

****** to the dirt
    Watch out for bladders that have small openings, it makes it hard to clean out. I like the camel back, it has a nice large opening. When I am not using it I leave the lid off and put a small piece of plastic in side ways to keep it aired out. The camel back has lasted at least 8 years and still no leaks.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    I put Gatorade in my Osprey all the time. Not a problem. And if you've not tried an Osprey, ot makes the Camelback look like an old and outdated device... Far superior.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

I have been using High Sierra for years. I think I paid like 10 bucks at Costco. Although the bladder it came with is long gone. I only use Camelback bladders and bite valves. In my opinion they work the best. Packs come and go for me. I don't see the need to spend big bucks on the name brand packs. I have two Camelback bladders. One (2 liter) I have had for years and also a 100oz one that is newer. Camelback bladders are not cheap but they last, don't leak and are easy to clean, have large enough openings to put ice into and the bite valves are superior.

mtbr member
    I like the "size" of the High Sierra, I hate bulky items - I plan on just water in my Hydration Pack and Gatorade in my bottle - I'm a camper so I'm still a fan of Cliff Bars mostly because they taste better than other bars, yet to try the gel my g/f uses them for her long runs and marathons.

mtbr member
    yep ruined 1 bladder putting gatorade in it i think. lots of mild...... just water now and maybe a nuun tab or something
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

The filling port looks kind of small. Imagine trying to clean it, will you hand fit in to be able to wipe it down. The bite plate is straight which is going to make it hard to get water from.

Both camel back and the osprey both have large openings to be able to clean, and right angle bite plate making it fit in the mouth easier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Water in mine. I do clean it out every now and then with a few drops of lemon juice while it's 1/3 full of water.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Use denture cleaning tablets, like Efferdent to clean the inside of reservoirs. Make sure some of the cleanser gets into the drinking tube. Rinse and use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    what is the best hydration pack money can buy?

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Osprey viper or verve series. makes the Camelbak look like an ancient obsolete device .
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    And you can buy the viper 4 at Campsaver for $44. Jenson and Rei are charging $69.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    There is no best, there's only what meets your needs the most. Some fantastic high tech bag may not do what YOU need it to.

But if your factoring cost and quality, anything from kifaru takes first place.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    ^ Kifaru does not make a dedicated hydration pack. Their platypus bladders are designed to go into their pretty large packs as an accesory .

This is a mtn bike forum, not a hiking or hunting forum, and a pack from Kifaru would not make a very good pack for a one or two hour xc ride.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    ^ Kifaru does not make a dedicated hydration pack. Their platypus bladders are designed to go into their pretty large packs as an accesory .

This is a mtn bike forum, not a hiking or hunting forum, and a pack from Kifaru would not make a very good pack for a one or two hour xc ride.
    When I think of a hydration pack I think of a hydration compatible packs. A compressed Xray is similar in size to a CB HAWG. I don't know if they still do, but they used to make custom packs.
    The question is what is the best money can buy... well paying for kifaru to make you a dedicated hydration only pack is the best money can buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by idon'tlikepink View Post
    what is the best hydration pack money can buy?
    Don't know what the very best is, but from my experience Deuter makes very high quality packs -- made in Germany and they claim to have been in the backpack business longer than anyone else. I've used Camelback and Osprey but prefer Deuter.

All fat, all the time.
    Yes, I mix gatoraid powder in mine.
    Rinse with clean water as soon as I get home, then toss it in the fridge. Usually only needs a good scrubbing (inside of hose etc) about once/month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I normally just use water, but if you wanted to use a sugary drink or something like that you could probably use a mixture of chlorine tablets and water. I find it gets rid of most smells

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    just water for me too. camelbak sells cleaning tabs which i used after mine sat for a long time without use, not sure if those would also get the taste out after filling with other liquids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast