1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

hydraition packs

Does anyone put anything besides water in there hydration packs?( I am not referring to alcohol but such as power-aid mix or anything like that)?

mtbr member
    I have read that it can be very difficult, nigh on impossible, to completely get rid of an "aftertaste" from the bladder. As such, I have only put water in mine.

Maybe others have risked it an learned differently, but I've had no reason to bother. If I want to bring a sports drink I put it in a water bottle on my bike.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    The taste does linger, that's why I stopped. Now I use water and carry food with energy/electrolytes which actually makes it easier to manage dehydration and nutrition separately.

Just because I'm thirsty doesn't mean I need more calories, and visa versa.

Works for me...

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"Suffering has a luminous beauty, and cleanses the mind in much the same way a wildfire clears an overgrown forest."
    - Mike Ferrentino

"Art is suffering"
    - Squidward Tentacles
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

Picture Unrelated
    I use or have used a lot of products; as long as they're not sugar based they clean up pretty well generally. I have used Nuun a lot and am currently using Elete which is just an electrolyte supplement with no additional flavor. Both rinse out of the modern Camelbak reservoirs very well. No residual flavors when you are using the current style of bladder; the old bladders held flavors much more.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

undercover brother
    I only put water in mine, but I carry electrolyte squeeze packs if its really hot and humid. Powerbar/cliff bar are perfect for the extra calories.

local trails rider
    Using plain water, the bladder rarely NEEDS thorough cleaning.

Some other things that people have used can turn into interesting biology experiments very quickly.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yea, I'd stick to water. They do make powder mixes that they say are safe to use in bladder packs, but I'm not gonna chance it.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sure, i put powerade in mine. just rinse with water afterward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Does anyone put anything besides water in there hydration packs?( I am not referring to alcohol but such as power-aid mix or anything like that)?
    in the bottle i mix stuff. in the backpack its straight water.

worst case senario i use the backpack to refill the bottle and carry a small bag/bottle of whatever mix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put only water in mine and store it in the freezer when not in use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover View Post
    I put only water in mine and store it in the freezer when not in use.
    Thats another good point. Keeps bacteria from growing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan1285 View Post
    so does running through the dish washer every now and then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan1285 View Post
    I never would have thought of that. I will think about that.

mtbr member
    I only ride with Cytomax in my Osprey.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Yeah no sugary drinks for me, just plain water and ice cubes to keep me cool

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    put Gatorade in mine once... wont do that again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I usually fill mine up with ice, then a bottle of poweraide or half bottle, depending on how long the ride, then top it off with water. has worked out well so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I stick to lots of ice and water. However this thread has got me thinking about using smart water... Any flavored stuff goes in the bottle. A couple power bars in the pack as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good info. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Camelbak makes electrolyte flavor tablets. I used those for a long time. Worked well.
    I usually put a little lemon juice in my water. Keeps the container fresh and gives the water some taste.

You just have I clean the bladder after use and you'll keep it fresh. But don't use stuff that will leave a lingering taste or smell.

The Original Suspect
    I've been putting Gatorade or Powerade in my Camelback bladders for years no ill effects. Rinse thoroughly after or put in fridge until next days ride. No weird growth or aftertaste. I clean with antibacterial hand or dish soap and Camelback brushes. I live in AZ and where riding in 90+ heat is normal and water just doesn't cut it for me.

mtbr member
    I live in CT and I fill my osprey with one tray of ice, 1 32 oz bottle of gatorade and then rest water. When I come home I immediately rise the bladder, tube, and mouth piece, so far so ill side effects.

'Tis but a scratch
    Another benefit of plain old water is you can use it for an eye-rinse if you get some dirt in the eye or to clean out a fresh cut. Both are real possibilities and I have done both.

kjd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I use gatorade in mine fairly often, BUT when I forget to drain it out right out it gets nasty green mold growing in it and it is a lot of work to clean it out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just h2o

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast