mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Which hybrid to buy?

First of all this is my first posting, and I don't post to many discussion boards anyway, so if I am doing anything wrong or moronic please go easy on me. I am saving my pennies for a new bike, mostly for commuting (100 miles per week). Looking to spend between $500-800 or so. I have sort of narrowed down my choices to: 1) Cannondale Road Warrior 600; 2) Cannondale Bad Boy Rigid; 3) Kona Dew Deluxe; 4) Specialized Sirrus Sport; 5) Jamis Coda Sport; 6) Trek 7500; 7); Gary Fisher Utopia. FYI, I am a 46 year old guy with creaky old bones, so no plans to take this off road except to get out of the way of the occasional squirrel on the bikepath. At least that's the current plan. Does anyone have any opinions and/or advice re these bikes, or any I forgot? All feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks mucho...

There's no app for this.

you don't see much on

hybrids here but I'll throw in .02 worth of thoughts....

You've gotta ride it so it's got to fit. Find a shop that offers good fitting, good pricing, good service. All those mfrs are very reputable. Warranty length might also be a factor.

Don't forget to take it to your office or it's going to get stolen. Even a big lock won't stop someone who wants a shiny new commuter.

Sorry, not much help, Jim (even more aged than you) C

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robocop2003
    First of all this is my first posting, and I don't post to many discussion boards anyway, so if I am doing anything wrong or moronic please go easy on me. I am saving my pennies for a new bike, mostly for commuting (100 miles per week). Looking to spend between $500-800 or so. I have sort of narrowed down my choices to: 1) Cannondale Road Warrior 600; 2) Cannondale Bad Boy Rigid; 3) Kona Dew Deluxe; 4) Specialized Sirrus Sport; 5) Jamis Coda Sport; 6) Trek 7500; 7); Gary Fisher Utopia. FYI, I am a 46 year old guy with creaky old bones, so no plans to take this off road except to get out of the way of the occasional squirrel on the bikepath. At least that's the current plan. Does anyone have any opinions and/or advice re these bikes, or any I forgot? All feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks mucho...
    Compare hybrid is a little tricky, because they’re not all design for the same purpose. Although many bike companies advertises their hybrids as multi-purpose that usually not the case. Some are design for speed, other for comfort and some for urban riding.
    The Cannondale Road Warrior and Specialized Sirrus Sport are design more for speed. They then have more road bikes components then any other hybrid. They’re kind of like a comfortable road bike.

The Trek 7500 and the GF Utopia are more comfort oriented. They have suspension forks to smooth out the rides. The have large cushioned saddle for your behind. The Trek even comes with a suspension seatpost.

The Canondale Bad Boy, Kona Dew Deluxe and Jamis Coda Sport are design for more urban riding. These bikes are designed to go fast off curbs and things like that. They tend to have more mtn bike component for durability. They are also rigid for better pedaling efficiency and speed.

Personally, I haven’t test ridden any of these bike other the Specialized Sirrus (although it was the Comp with the carbon fork), so I can’t give you an honest opinion on which one is better.