1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Help From The Big Guy

Hutchinson Python Air Light Tires

Just bought a set of used wheels with Mavic 221 UB rims and Hutchinson Air Light Python tires.

I looked at the reviews on those tires and they are all over the place......some love them and some hate them.

*** Should I replace the tires? Lots of dry dusty rock strewn trails in this area or........

Give the tires a chance and maybe change out the tubes to Slimes/Stans?

It looks like they have somewhat flimsy sidewalls & puncture fairly easily.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by thevalvesource; 04-01-2009 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    I wasn't a fan of them and s-canned em. Too many flats. I got some WTB and was like whoa

No good in rock gardens..
    Not really a "trail" tyre per se and not really at home on loose, rocky terrain. The front lacks much of an edge and you can expect it to wash out a fair bit in loose corners. Most Hutchies tend to wear quite fast also.

If they are brand new you might be able to sell them on eBay and get some $$ to put towards some proper knobbies.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Not really a "trail" tyre per se and not really at home on loose, rocky terrain. The front lacks much of an edge and you can expect it to wash out a fair bit in loose corners. Most Hutchies tend to wear quite fast also.
    This is exactly my experience with these tires. Ended up using them to commute as they are pretty fast on pavement.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Depends on what kind of riding you do. They are very fast and very light tires. Good for dry hard packed terrain or even pavement or gravel. They are probably not as good for roots, rocks, and mud as they will tend to slip more and in mud they cake up pretty bad. Bottom line is they are great XC race tires, not so good AM tires.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cupofjava is exactly right. That's why the reviews are mixed. They are a hard pack tire. Most Hutchies are. What kind of riding do you do? What are the trails like there?

Help From The Big Guy
    Thanks for the help.

I picked up some other rubber and will Ebay/sell these off.

Even more than the tread pattern, the thinness of the sidewall looked like flat waiting to happen.

Regards