1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Huffy Superia re-build

Basically I pulled out my old Huffy Superia 26" 15speed from storage. In short, it needs a little tlc. I would like to throw some quick decent cheap parts on it to have a bit of fun on. Can the front rigid forks be replaced easily with SR SUNTOUR XCR LO Mtb Suspension Fork 26" 1 1/8" threaded? It also needs newer brakes as the current brakes have lost tension in the spring to retract. The derailer is rusted together/locked up and needs to be replaced as it wont shift into higher gear. Could this be completed cheaply? If so any ideas on where to get these parts?

thanks,

Josh

Jason
    Get your flame suit on.

I'm getting me some popcorn!

Wait, why does this seems like something highdelll would post?
    Jason

T.W.O.
    Pricepoint, Jensen USA, Bluesky. I don't know if it's worth it or not though. For a few hundred bucks you can get a complete bikes from bikedirect.

BTW, I've got my popcorn and ready to go, just double check the subscription.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS89
    Could this be completed cheaply?
    No.

Ride it until you break it and save your pennies for the higher quality bikes.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Advice well taken!!!! 100% agreed. Prior to this idea of mine I began looking at my first "decent" mountain bike. What caught my eye was a Specialized Hardrock. Of course there are always questions that come to mind....Would I go with the standard Hardrock, Hardrock with disc, Hardrock disc 29er? Any and all cons/pros suggestions welcome.....

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS89
    Advice well taken!!!! 100% agreed. Prior to this idea of mine I began looking at my first "decent" mountain bike. What caught my eye was a Specialized Hardrock. Of course there are always questions that come to mind....Would I go with the standard Hardrock, Hardrock with disc, Hardrock disc 29er? Any and all cons/pros suggestions welcome.....
    Good choice on upgrading! Honestly, the major difference will be 26" wheel or 29" wheel. Both have their advantages. I generally prefer 26" because they will generally lead to a faster handling bike and they are stronger. But there are lots of places where a 29'er will feel superior and it's worth test riding both kinds of bikes to see what feels better to you. I seem to be an oddity in the world of bikes, my trail bike has 7" of travel (only 32lbs though) and am happy to climb anything with it as long as it gets me to a great downhill.

As far as picking between models, get the highest model you can afford. You'll get better parts that last longer and work better throughout their lifespan. Discs are great as long as they're of good quality, given the option I wouldn't go with any disc system of quality below the BB5 from Avid. Lots and lots of hardrock owners out there, read through some posts in the beginner's board and the Specialized board and feel free to ask questions.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Tell us your budget and we can better advise you I would say my minimum for a new bike would be 1200 dollars but thats just me.

Class Clown
    Well he's trying to do things cheaply so 1200 is probably too much, although in the long run it might be cheaper than upgrading.

The hardrock is a solid bike and much better than the huff-n-puff. I'd go with disc brakes because they are rather awesome and work great in the wet. The 26-29 debate you'll have to look into.