mtbr member

hucking, wheelie dropping... help...

Hey All,

I've been riding aggressive xc for nearly a decade, but as a long-term injury has kept me from indulging in my first passion (rock/ice climbing) I've recently been displacing my energy w/ my bike by going bigger on drops. Though I live in a great place for "natural" FR, I've been using the "stable" environment of a 3 ft - 4 1/2 ft loading dock to hone my skill.

Here's my question: on vertical drops over 2 ft I do not like to roll off, so I power stroke and essentially wheelie off the obstacle, usually landing flat or slightly rear first. All this time I thought I was "hucking", but someone told me the other day that I was "wheelie-droping".

I was told there's no peddling in hucking..? Is this right? If so, does this mean that you must have momentum from a descent? Do you then just "lift" the bar w/ no pre-compression?

I messed with this a little the other night on an 18" wall and every time landed nose down - no likey!

On my loading dock there's no real run-in, it's only a few feet from the edge, so I don't understand how this is possible.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Technically they're probably correct, but hucking as it was first used is just riding around and going up, over and onto things. How you did it wasn't the thing, but that you did it. Don't concern yourself with labels. Have fun.

Seems kind of strange you're suffering from a long term injury and still doing stuff that could put you in a wheel chair. But hey! I'm getting old and careful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona

I messed with this a little the other night on an 18" wall and every time landed nose down - no likey!
    Like Fred said, don't worry about what it is called and just have fun.

For the "huck" as you described it, think of it like bunny hopping off of an 18" ledge. This will give you the control to land flat or slightly rear. Once that becomes comfy, then you can experiment with other ways of rolling, hucking, dropping, etc.

I'm no expert at any of this, but I've been trying to broaden my bag of tricks. One technique is not good for all cases (as you found on the loading dock with no run-up) so I'm trying to increase my comfort level with all of them.

Hoopy Frood

Different Methods for Downhill Drops/Ledges

Hucking is both a general term and a specific technique. See the page below for different ways to handle ledges and drops:

Utah Mountain Biking Ledges Page

Which method you use is dependent on your comfort level, your speed, and the size/landing zone of the drop.

-khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member

wheelchairs, tenacity, body armor, training

Quote Originally Posted by fredł
    Seems kind of strange you're suffering from a long term injury and still doing stuff that could put you in a wheel chair. But hey! I'm getting old and careful.
    Cool thanks! I don't care about the labels at all, but clear communication helps when trying to learn... ie. "hey man, I was trying to huck the other day and..."

The injury mentioned is specific to a forearm flexor tendon, and is unlikely to heal w/o surgery, which I am not willing to go through at this time.

As far as ending up in a wheel chair - in 1990 I was in a car accident, 23 years old, an outstanding rockclimber / guide who's resume was huge and future even "huger". To repair my injures from the accident, the doctors wanted to put a rod in my back, ending my outdoor life. I changed majors and entered a medical program to find an alternative, had 9, yes nine "experimental" (now used w/ pro athletes) surgeries on my spine, and never stopped living my passions - turned down the climbing a notch for a couple of years but indulged instead in scuba and sea kayaking and ocean swimming almost every day of the 18 months that I was in surgery. Then there was the shattered wrist (work injury) that I had to train back into climbing shape... That still bugs me sometimes!

My 36 year old body does feel the impact of botched drops, but to me this means more training - more flexibility, more core and neck strength, and a lot more practice dropping I've been in emergency medicine since I was a teen and work in the ER seasonally - seen enough to know the consequences, but still...

Most of the outrageous freeriders I know around here (many were very well know riders 10 years ago) are 34 to 44 years old, and are spectaular-smooth! I've seen one guy do a measured 12 footer to flat on a hard tail and land it like he was landing on a feather bed! THAT is the grace I strive for - but at say 5 feet

I know another kid here - he will be in magazines soon - who does similar amazing things on a hardtail. Specialized just comped him a D9, his first full-boing bike, and I can't wait to see where he goes with it.

I digress, but it's soooo fun to write about biking in the middle of the work day
    Last edited by Rollin'in'Zona; 07-01-2004 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member

Hucking - great link!

Thanks for the GREAT link! This is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by khill
    Hucking is both a general term and a specific technique. See the page below for different ways to handle ledges and drops:

Utah Mountain Biking Ledges Page

Which method you use is dependent on your comfort level, your speed, and the size/landing zone of the drop.

-khill

ceteris paribus
    Cool link.
    the way I see it hucking starts with a manual. wheelie dropping starts with a wheelie.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'