1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Hub Question

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Hub Question

Not sure where to post this so here goes:

On my FS when I coast no noise from hub. On my hardtail when I coast I get a "clicking" or ticking sound from the rear hub.

Yes I know they are different hubs just wondering why a click on one type and no click on the other ?

Better description would be a racheting sound which slows as the wheel slows.

Is one better than the other?

Search did not help.

Thanks

Picture Unrelated
    Hubs have pawls in them which interface with teeth in the freehub body. In one direction they grip (pedaling) and in the other direction they slip which creates a clicking noise as the spring-loaded pawls snap back once they travel over a tooth. Some hubs are designed so that this is "silent" and some (like Chris King) are not silent. Depending on the number of pawls and hub configuration, you could get some noise or less and the noise can even change depending on the amount of lube in the hub or if the freehub needs service.

Long story short, everything is fine and sound alone does not tell you the quality of a hub. Though the expensive hubs do tend to be the noisiest ones.

How Things Work: The Freehub Body – Dirt | Dirt
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There can be a couple of reasons for the difference - hub/pawl design, the number of points of engagement, and even grease used (though I think this has more of a temporary effect.

There are very good silent/stealth hubs and very good loud hubs. It depends on why they are quiet or not.

The ratcheting sound is normal though. There are a bunch of threads singing the praises of loud hubs with many points of engagement - Hope's and Chris King's are very high quality and quite noisy (you can even get a Chris King hub buzzing ringtone). Do a search for these and "noisy" and you'll find plenty of threads.

Check this out as well - Ultimate Chris King angry bee hub sound - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beat me to it!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Beat me to it!
    Yours was good too!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My silent Hub is Syncros FR. The noisy one is Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro. Don't know how great they are but my wheels turn and I have fun.