1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

hub bearing maintenance

I bought a used Diamondback Sorrento with some issues. The chain pops and/or slips under semi-hard peddling. I want to replace the cassette and chain, and maybe a new BB. But my question concerns the hubs. I think the bearings are shot. I think the hubs are made by "JOY", can I replace the bearings or is it more cost effective to just get a new rear hub? Thanks in advance.

Tuna

mtbr member
    Most likely simple cup and cone bearings. Easy to open up and have a look. Bags of ball bearings are cheap.

No need to replace the BB if the one you have still works.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Cheaper to buy a new wheel then replace a hub unless you do it yourself and reuse the spokes. Some people advise against doing this.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Unless the hub bearings are seized/rusted or the cones are pitted all the hub probably needs is a fresh packing with grease. It's not a complicated DIY but you'll need cone wrenches to take the hub apart and reassemble. See what your LBS says and, as said above, it would be less expensive to purchase a new/used wheel eBay, etc.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've replaced hubs in the past. As others have said, in general, it's not something one can just expect to work. You need the new hub to have the same flange height and relatively similar spacing to the old hub. It's also as much work as building a new wheel from scratch.

Crack the hub open and give it a look. If you don't find any seals on the way in and you can afford it, buy a new wheel. If there are seals, clean everything out, repack, replace the little balls if they're pitted, and reassemble.

Preload on an adjustable hub is slightly tricky. The Park Tool web site describes how to do it.

Cup-and-cone hubs can be good for many years of service, with a maintenance every now and then, or they can be good for throwing out.

Joytech also does some sealed bearing hubs. Those are very easy to rebuild, though you may want some special tools. (2x4 with a hole in it...) The bearings will have a trade number printed on them that tells you what to replace them with.

Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx