1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: howdy

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

howdy

hey yall, i started riding bout 98. i got a mongoose switchback with mustang wheels, rapid fire shifting. i havent gone riding though for the past 5 years. and am looking to get back into it. my bike needs a bit of fixing, redo shifting wires, break wires and the such, usual maintenance (sp?) that i should of kept up on. anyway, im lookin to relearn the stuff i may have lost and want to figure out what i should do bout my bike, should i get it fixed up or look into gettin a new one. im on a limited budget and pretty much considering my self a beginner again just so i dont go buy a real good one that i may not get all the use out of that it would deserve. i mostly like all mountain riding, and may be interested in some down hill. my bike aint got no suspension or anything so not sure how good it would do off road. i never with too off road with it originally but some. any help is appreciated thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    you probably want to put a dart 3 fork on it after a while... i would take a couple rides on it as it is once you have got it up and going... riding on an unsuspended bike on trail will teach you alot and build your skills up quick.
    Keep on Ridin

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I learned to ride on a steel, fully rigid Trek. Only the 'fancy' bikes had suspension forks back then. In fact, this spring I purchased my first bike with a suspension fork. I'd ride rigid and try it out. If it's too uncomfortable, get a Dart 3.

mtbr member
    Get it tuned, ride it, and go from there. Yeeeeehaaaaaw.
    I'm here for the OT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for the advice. i justgotta find a bike shop in the area now. would it be wise to go ahead and get a set of disk breaks for my bike, or would the reg break pads be sufficiant.

mtbr member
    No need to throw dollars at upgrades until you start riding and find out what does and doesn't work for ya! Know what I mean? I'm OUT.
    I'm here for the OT