29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

How to tell what type of BB I have?

Guys -

How do I tell what type of BB I have on my bike so I know what tools I need to buy to properly remove it? The frame is an older (early 90's) GT Krakoram.

To make a long story short, I'm removing everything from my frame so I can have it powder coated. I found a local company who will do this for about $80.00.

I've never assembled a bicycle from the ground up, so this will be an opportunity to teach myself how to do this. I thought this would be an easy rebuild because it's already been converted to a SS.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

banned
    Sep 2012
    It's probably a standard "english thread" BB given the age of the bike. It is either 68 or 73mm wide.

-S

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    If it is a standard "english thread" BB, is it possible or worth it to convert it to a cartridge sealed barring BB? Or should I just re-pack the barrings and leave it as is? At this point I am having ZERO problems with my BB.

---Edit--

Just found this link in a similar thread down below. This shows the basic types of BB's. This will definitely help me figure out what tools I will need.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Bo--Bz
    Last edited by p08757; 12-06-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: More Information Found

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Probably already a cartridge bearing. Loose bearings on any quality bike in the 20 last years are pretty unusual, specially on a mountain bike.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Probably already a cartridge bearing. Loose bearings on any quality bike in the 20 last years are pretty unusual, specially on a mountain bike.
    Thanks! I will let you know what I find when I get home from work. I am hoping for a cartridge bearing.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Thanks! I will let you know what I find when I get home from work. I am hoping for a cartridge bearing.
    Take some pics - one of us here is bound to recognize what you got

Standard "square taper" bottom bracket

I personally prefer "external" style BB's like this (aka Shimano Hollowtech II, Race Face EXi, or SRAM GXP)

Converting one to the other usually requires a matching crankset. The Shimano Hollowtech II and Race Face EXi are cross compatible, while the SRAM GXP is off on its own.

-S

I like turtles
    Most likely a ST BB. A new UN-54 will set you back a whopping $25 delivered. May as well replace while you have it apart. Just need to measure the shell of the bike and width of the spindle to make sure you get the right one.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I'm probably going to reuse the current BB if its a cartridge, if not I will measure everything up and order an appropriate cartridge while my frame is being powder coated.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I have success!!! Best advice I can tell everyone is make sure you have the right tools for the job and study how to do the task you want. This took me about 2 hours to totally disassemble my bike. Now I can have my frame powder coated!!!!

Before:

BB:

Naked Frame and parts:

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Finished Product:

mtbr member
    Looks good. I like the rigid fork. I removed a 29er suntour fork and put on a used redline 29 cro-moly fork and it's so much more efficient. I wouldn't take it down crazy trails, but for some smooth dirt single track, it works great.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Looks good. I like the rigid fork. I removed a 29er suntour fork and put on a used redline 29 cro-moly fork and it's so much more efficient. I wouldn't take it down crazy trails, but for some smooth dirt single track, it works great.
    This bike or its rider aren't going down any crazy trails any time soon. This will be my commuter and fun ride bike. I'm toying with the idea of riding it on RAGBRI a few days this year, but II will wait until a get a few good 50+ mile rides under my belt with this thing. The furthest I've rode the bike as a single speed has been about 30 miles. Wasn't bad, and I could have gone further.

mtbr member
    Looks great! If you don't mind me asking what did this little project set you back? I would like to pick up a used bike and do something like this one day.