1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

How to take pedals off?

I have a Hardrock Sport. I just bought some new pedals -- clipless on one side, platform on the other. And now I can't get the original pedals out of the crankarms! My wrenches are too wide to grab only the 9/16 bolt; they grab some of the pedal too. What's the trick? And someone mentioned that righty-tighty, lefty-loosey doesn't is backwards for pedals? What's that about?
    Any tricks to getting off the old pedals?

mtbr member
    As far as "righty tighty" thing not working, the pedals are reverse threaded. Try rotating the other way.

Wrench too wide? What kind of wrench are you using?

banned
    Apr 2004

Grind the wrench thinner at the jaw or get

Quote Originally Posted by ecox
    I have a Hardrock Sport. I just bought some new pedals -- clipless on one side, platform on the other. And now I can't get the original pedals out of the crankarms! My wrenches are too wide to grab only the 9/16 bolt; they grab some of the pedal too. What's the trick? And someone mentioned that righty-tighty, lefty-loosey doesn't is backwards for pedals? What's that about?
    Any tricks to getting off the old pedals?
    a pedal wrench, Sometimes cracking them free is a biatch but remember

Rt side/drive side is normal thread (counter clockwise to loosen) and

Lt side is backwards (clockwise to loosen)

mtbr member

Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    a pedal wrench, Sometimes cracking them free is a biatch but remember

Rt side/drive side is normal thread (counter clockwise to loosen) and

Lt side is backwards (clockwise to loosen)
    TRUE
    My mistake, only the left side is reverse.