1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

How strong is shimano xt 785 xc wheelset for marathons and long tourism?

Hello! I am a new man on this forum. So sorry for my bad english.
    Recently I've purchased a new Shimano XT M785 MTB Disc Wheelset
    Shimano XT M785 MTB Disc Wheelset | Chain Reaction Cycles

I am going to use this wheels in marathons here in Russia, a long bike trips with a gear. There is no any tough trails but it will be a lot of off-road in the forests and other non asphlat roads. In long trips (tourism in the foothills) I always used a trunk with the 15-20kg.
    I am afraid of 2.0-1.5-2.0 spokes, which can breake.
    How does these wheelset will suit me and my styly of riding? I am 67 kg.
    road no more, only straight out

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So much depends on how you ride ,what you weigh ,how you maintain you stuff. Saying that it's a good wheel.Ride it ,keeping a eye on the spokes .

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If that's the bike you want to use that wheelset on then you've bought the wrong wheelset.

The XT (WH-M785) wheelset have disc specific rims that aren't made for use with rim brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for you answers. Here in Rus we don't have any information.
    Yes, it is my titan bike for long trips. And also I've purchased an xtr disk brakes for it.
    I am 67kg, in trunk there is always 10-20kg, cause I also carry a gear of my wife. I don't ride any hard trails but even asphalt roads in RUS are not very good.
    With rims brakes I ve been used mavic 717 rims 32 holes, xt hubs and dt 1.8 spokes and there is no problems for 6 years. But now time is come to try disk brakes, because rims are worn out.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I wouldn't put too much worry into the double-butted spokes. I have ones of the same gauge, although in a higher spoke count (32) on the front of my 160mm travel all-mountain bike which has taken many bad, nose-heavy landings off jumps, several trips to bike parks, and all sorts of tomfoolery. Those wheels will be plenty strong, but make sure to keep an eye on the spoke tension as I've known a few people with that wheelset who complained that the spokes would often loosen.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    If that's the bike you want to use that wheelset on then you've bought the wrong wheelset.

The XT (WH-M785) wheelset have disc specific rims that aren't made for use with rim brakes.
    +1 on this, don't ignore it..

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    +1 on this, don't ignore it..
    I've also purched xtr disk brakes)))

Fat-tired Roadie
    Since you already bought them, it's a little late.

I wouldn't worry about the butting of the spokes. Butted spokes tend to last longer, if anything. But I'm not crazy about low spoke counts or straight-pull spokes, especially if you're throwing a whole lot of extra weight on your bike anyway.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    How are you going to mount the disc calipers to your fork and frame?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    There is a mounts for a disk brakes. And may be anyone have this wheelset? And i could lIsten real review?
    I don'r worry about nubs and rims, but spokes... it is only 24 spokes ant its straight pull...
    Last edited by Touma; 09-23-2013 at 03:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You may be fine with the 24 spoke wheel in the front, but I also might have some concerns about that configuration in the rear.

Be sure to carry spare spokes, and become comfortable replacing them as well as working with a spoke wrench. Also, be aware when purchasing brake rotors that you will need to use the Centerlock style attachment, as opposed to the standard 6-bolt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'va already cenrlock rotors. Thanks!