1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: How to roost?

mtbr member
    May 2008

How to roost?

Im curious how people roost on a mountain bike. Even if i knew how i would rarely do it since its not good for the trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Are you talking about when people lock up rear brakes to slide the tire in a turn throwing dirt up? if so, that's your answer, lean bike -lock brake. Sometimes, some riders have true loamy dirt and they don't have to do that as the dirt is loose and just breaks out.

local trails rider
    Name:  roost.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  38.7 KB

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Im curious how people roost on a mountain bike. Even if i knew how i would rarely do it since its not good for the trails

Name:  roost.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  30.1 KB

And sure, it is ok to intentionally tear up the trails but only if you "rarely do it".
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Real roosts don't involve locking up the brakes - that would be a skid, or "powerslide" as we used to call 'em when we were kids. You need to learn to turn fast and hard enough to break the wheel(s) loose. A quick counter-steer going into your turn helps. Get ready to high-side it a ton of times trying to learn; pretty tricky move.

mtbr member
    I thought roost was an offroad term. Your riding your kids PW-50 to sign up, your buddy can't help himself, on his KX-500 with an IRC-M5B-140-80-18 tire (fresh mount) he slices under you grabs clutch and 2nd gear and roosts you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    I thought roost was an offroad term. Your riding your kids PW-50 to sign up, your buddy can't help himself, on his KX-500 with an IRC-M5B-140-80-18 tire (fresh mount) he slices under you grabs clutch and 2nd gear and roosts you.
    Basically, the 'roost' is the dirt thrown by a spinning tire (ie - moto chest protectors are know as "roost protectors", as they keep a lot of racks and crap from peppering your sternuem). Since it's not likely there are a lot of mtbers that can put enough power to the pedal while moving in straight line to throw a roost, you have to take it to the turns. I'll see if I can find a good slo-mo vid of somebody pulling it off - I know I've seen them. Key factor though, is the wheel's gotta be spinning while throwing dirt. Skidding doesn't count.