1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    B42
    mtbr member

New question here. How to ride jumps into a corner?

I've seen a few places on trails where there is a jump/bump (not break chatter) right before a burned corner. If I jump the jump, I'll end up about half way over the berm and miss the corner. I can slow down and kinda soak up the jump/bump and then run the corner (what I normally do). I'm thinking about maybe trying to slow down less and jump while landing into the corner so as to make it like a hip.

Is there a proper way/fastest to handle jumps/bumps coming into a corner?

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wonder also...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would say (and I am far from an expert) roll the "jump" (sounds more like a big bump from your description) as fast as possible without coming off the ground, sort of "pumping" it would be the fastest way.

local trails rider
    Some bumps can be pumped: get very light on the bike before the top of the bump and push down on the back side.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

addicted
    you could also "pre-jump" by bunnyhopping over the lip/top of the jump/bump. Better than pumping it if you have a lot of speed. If you aren't going quite as fast pumping the backside will reward you with free speed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Depends on the jump and the corner...if you dont want to roll it, try scrubbing the jump by leaning and turning the bike on the face of the jump( in the direction of the berm) or as you take off, turn your bars slightly the opposite direction of the berm. This will make the bike want to lean into the turn while you're still in the air and as you land, just pump it through the berm. Hope this makes sense to you, and best thing you can do is just find the jump/turn you like and PRACTICE!!! Have fun bro

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pump it if you can....

Pre jump it if you have to.

B42
    mtbr member
    Awesome everyone. That's a lot for the advice and ideas. Now to go out and practice.

dhpeteinsc: It does make sense. Thank you. Have fun out there everyone!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by willrace4food View Post
    you could also "pre-jump" by bunnyhopping over the lip/top of the jump/bump.
    I suppose pre-jumping could be seen as an extreme version of pumping: you go light enough to be in the air over the lip or top and land on the backside
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness...re-jump-16342/

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Picture Unrelated
    If it truly is a jump to berm then you're probably going too fast. You should be jumping then positioning in the air for a landing somewhere in the beginning of the berm (definitely get those wheels on the dirt before the apex).
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    "Pre-jumping" is just an ill-timed pump.

If it's actually a jump into the berm and you're landing somewhere in the middle then you're not doing it right. If you're carrying a lot of speed into it and just overshooting then you either need to slow down or learn techniques to carry speed through jumps without going very high. I don't usually scrub jumps, but there are times where it's smoother to not actually jump a jump; where you'll find it's fastest to let the lip do the work or where you'll need to absorb some of the lip's kick with your arms and legs.
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.