1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

How To Regrease Sealed Bottom Bracket?

I'm getting ready to sell my Windsor Cliff 4500, but before I do that I want to fix several things, one of which is a "tick" that appears to be coming from the bottom bracket. I've got the bottom bracket off, but how do you regrease the bearings in a sealed cartrige?

Also, any tips on how to clean up the bike in general would be appreciated (e.g. getting grime off the chain, etc).

mtbr member
    I'm a newbie too, and I found this guide really useful.

I don't think sealed BBs can be re-greased. You probably have to buy a new one.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneReaction View Post
    I don't think sealed BBs can be re-greased. You probably have to buy a new one.
    Thanks for your response. On that note, I do have a new one that got sent to me to replace the bottom bracket of a different mail order bike I had, but it was too short. The spindle appears to be the same type, but the one that came off the Windsor is a 113, and the replacement I have is a 108. Does anyone know if these would be compatable? I was able to partially install it to test the fit, but I haven't tried to tighten up anything - below is a photo of the potential replacement bottom bracket partially installed on the Windsor (and yes, I know, the bike needs to be cleaned up a bit!):

Here are the links to the one that came off my bike and the new one - sorry if the answer is obvious - I'm still learning about all the technicalities:

The one that came stock on the bike (photo shows 118, but I have the 113):

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/ind...nid=3123&sid=1

Potential Replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/TruVativ-Squar.../dp/B001PTE6QE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How To Regrease Sealed Bottom Bracket?-bike-rebuild.jpg