Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How old is too old to buy used?

6K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  funkydrum 
#1 ·
With bike technology advancing so quickly, how old do you think is too old when buying a used bike? I'm always worried buying used bikes. Even if it is newer, has it been stored outside? Even if it has only been rode one time, doesn't the shocks and stuff go bad over a period of time just due to the elements?

#2 ·
it all depends on how the bike is taken care of, most the time with some TLC these bikes that have never been ridden and just stored can be brought back to working condition.

Yah it does seem bike tech has come a long way in the last 10 years so make sure to compare it to what is out now. Buying used can be a great experience and you can save a lot of money because as mountain biking is a physical activity people get into to for 1 month and then they never touch the thing again... there has been a $6500 downhill bike on kijiji locally here for a LONG time and the guy bought and in his own words was a "impulse buy and was never used for what it is intended for". its for sale for much cheaper so keep your eye out..

#4 ·
I would view a used bike the same way as a used car. Late model used (2 - 4 years) is probably a pretty safe (and money-saving bet), but past that, a good portion of it will be worn if the bike has seen any use at all.

Of course different circumstances may present themselves, and there isn't a blanket rule. If you found a sweet deal on a bike that has proven to be reliable (search the boards) and seemed to be well cared for, than age isn't a huge deal.

#5 ·
BantamSLK said:
I would view a used bike the same way as a used car. Late model used (2 - 4 years) is probably a pretty safe (and money-saving bet), but past that, a good portion of it will be worn if the bike has seen any use at all.

Of course different circumstances may present themselves, and there isn't a blanket rule. If you found a sweet deal on a bike that has proven to be reliable (search the boards) and seemed to be well cared for, than age isn't a huge deal.
Well said.

#6 ·
One of the problems I see with people that advertise used bikes for sale is the tendency to get the model year wrong in the ad and for some strange reason, when the wrong model year is given, the bike is ALWAYS older then they said it is ;)

I would double check here:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx

Sometimes a year or two can make all the difference in the world between a good deal and a not so good deal.

#8 ·
jeffj said:
One of the problems I see with people that advertise used bikes for sale is the tendency to get the model year wrong in the ad and for some strange reason, when the wrong model year is given, the bike is ALWAYS older then they said it is ;)

I would double check here:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx

Sometimes a year or two can make all the difference in the world between a good deal and a not so good deal.
very true, i see tis every day on craigslist, my yukon fx i bougt was advertized with the wrong year, guy advertised it as an 08 but it really is an 09 :)

#9 ·
Highwaystreets said:
...most the time with some TLC these bikes that have never been ridden and just stored can be brought back to working condition
Lots of new bikes are bought with the best intentions and end up in someone's garage. That would be the ONLY used bike I'd buy.

Otherwise, you're potentially buying someone else's maintenance problems they choose not to fix...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.