1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    83

    How old is too old to buy used?

    With bike technology advancing so quickly, how old do you think is too old when buying a used bike? I'm always worried buying used bikes. Even if it is newer, has it been stored outside? Even if it has only been rode one time, doesn't the shocks and stuff go bad over a period of time just due to the elements?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Highwaystreets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    377
    it all depends on how the bike is taken care of, most the time with some TLC these bikes that have never been ridden and just stored can be brought back to working condition.

    Yah it does seem bike tech has come a long way in the last 10 years so make sure to compare it to what is out now. Buying used can be a great experience and you can save a lot of money because as mountain biking is a physical activity people get into to for 1 month and then they never touch the thing again... there has been a $6500 downhill bike on kijiji locally here for a LONG time and the guy bought and in his own words was a "impulse buy and was never used for what it is intended for". its for sale for much cheaper so keep your eye out..
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

    To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    359
    you want to make sure it will be compatible with modern parts. Be aware of what you are getting into. If its an old bike with a really old fork, maybe worn out chain rings, 7 speed cassette, etc. It can be costly and difficult to get everything up to par.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BantamSLK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    288
    I would view a used bike the same way as a used car. Late model used (2 - 4 years) is probably a pretty safe (and money-saving bet), but past that, a good portion of it will be worn if the bike has seen any use at all.

    Of course different circumstances may present themselves, and there isn't a blanket rule. If you found a sweet deal on a bike that has proven to be reliable (search the boards) and seemed to be well cared for, than age isn't a huge deal.
    The Trail Bike: 2009 Salsa Big Mama

    The Race Bike: 2010 Niner Jet 9

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by BantamSLK
    I would view a used bike the same way as a used car. Late model used (2 - 4 years) is probably a pretty safe (and money-saving bet), but past that, a good portion of it will be worn if the bike has seen any use at all.

    Of course different circumstances may present themselves, and there isn't a blanket rule. If you found a sweet deal on a bike that has proven to be reliable (search the boards) and seemed to be well cared for, than age isn't a huge deal.
    Well said.

  6. #6
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,925
    One of the problems I see with people that advertise used bikes for sale is the tendency to get the model year wrong in the ad and for some strange reason, when the wrong model year is given, the bike is ALWAYS older then they said it is

    I would double check here:

    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx

    Sometimes a year or two can make all the difference in the world between a good deal and a not so good deal.

  7. #7
    blog hogs
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    301
    A good sign it's to old is the lack of disc brake mounts.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    One of the problems I see with people that advertise used bikes for sale is the tendency to get the model year wrong in the ad and for some strange reason, when the wrong model year is given, the bike is ALWAYS older then they said it is

    I would double check here:

    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx

    Sometimes a year or two can make all the difference in the world between a good deal and a not so good deal.
    very true, i see tis every day on craigslist, my yukon fx i bougt was advertized with the wrong year, guy advertised it as an 08 but it really is an 09
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

  9. #9
    Riding or Drumming
    Reputation: funkydrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets
    ...most the time with some TLC these bikes that have never been ridden and just stored can be brought back to working condition
    Lots of new bikes are bought with the best intentions and end up in someone's garage. That would be the ONLY used bike I'd buy.

    Otherwise, you're potentially buying someone else's maintenance problems they choose not to fix...
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •