1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Me too and specific air for the suspension fork that has to be replaced weekly. More than a week old and the fork won't perform to it's optimum.
    But have you been able get your Summer air yet or are you still using the winter mix. The oxygen in the winter mix really kills performance

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    But have you been able get your Summer air yet or are you still using the winter mix. The oxygen in the winter mix really kills performance
    It's winter downunder so no summer mix available but luckily I followed Manbat's advice and bottled all my farts this summer. The fork is unbelievably plush and small bump compliance is greatly enhanced. And my tires almost float and appear to just glide over trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    It's winter downunder so no summer mix available but luckily I followed Manbat's advice and bottled all my farts this summer. The fork is unbelievably plush and small bump compliance is greatly enhanced. And my tires almost float and appear to just glide over trails.
    THat's because rocks and roots smell them coming and get out the way.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I use helium to make everything lighter.

Seriously though, I'm a squeeze with my hand to see if it's close enough. If it needs it I'll get the pump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    I capture all my farts in an old irn bru bottle and save them up till theres about 80psi in there...then I inflate my standard tyres on ztr flow rims...they ALWAYS inflate super easy and stay up for months
    That sounds like a potential W.M.D. there - careful as they went after Sadam for less then that.......

mtbr member
    If you inflate to higher psi then you will need to top off more often. On a road bike I have often pumped to 110 psi then ridden the bike for 4 hours and measure the tires at 90 psi the next morning. Obviously you won't lose 20 psi in 24 hours on a mountain bike if you inflate to say 28 to start with. More likely you lose a similar percentage.

Also keep in mind that if you use a CO2 cartridge to fill a tire you will need to fill up with air asap as CO2 is lost at 2x-3x the rate of air. Here emptying your tires and refilling may actually make sense aside from amusing people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Before every ride since most of my different rides require different air pressure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2