1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

How often do I need to clean/lube chain?

Like the title says, how often do I need to do this?

I did it today for the first time, and I blew through my 11 dollar degreaser can really fast...is that normal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The degreaser manufacturers suggest doing it every day, whether you ride or not.

Just kidding. I listen to those who advise never using the stuff. They suggest you can't really get it out of the tight places that need lubrication the most. Then again, I don't use fancy chain lube either. ATF works for me. How much is a chain compared to what you are spending on lubes, degreaser, ...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dish soap or Simple Green and a scrub brush are pretty cheap ways to degrease a chain...

I use ProLink as lube.

I clean my chain after every wet ride (sandy trails in FL after it rains all day and night), which living here in the summer is about every 1 out of 3 rides.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I use Pro-Link lube, which has some solvent effect to it. As such, I clean every few rides as I feel it needs. Unless it's really gross, I wipe it clean, lube it, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe it clean and dry again and let it set overnight before riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Is the pro-link t-9 because I believe that's what I use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    the lube I bought is called Finish Line - Dry Teflon Lube. This stuff any good?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AG74683
    the lube I bought is called Finish Line - Dry Teflon Lube. This stuff any good?
    i like my ProLink, but Finish Line products are pretty popular as well.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    take the chain off, degrease it with that orange cleaner crap or dish soap.

wax on.

put chain back on.

in the old days i'd melt a bunch of paraffin wax in a folger's can and drop the chain into it, then take it out after a few minutes and lay it out to dry.

you'd have to uncake the wax off of it, but it'd stay lubed like a mofo.

i'm not sure if it was a good idea, but i was 16 and bored.

mtbr member
    Just clean it when it looks dirty or if maybe if its making noises. Clean your other drive train components when they look dirty. And relube after you clean. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The short answer is: It depends.

It depends on the chain lube you are using and the conditions you are riding in.
    After every ride if it was a really dirty, muddy ride, otherwise after every two to three rides or when it needs it.
    Depending on the lube you use that could mean after a couple of hours of riding or an all day epic ride.
    Dry wax type lubes won't last as long but will stay cleaner in dry dusty conditions. They will disappear really fast in wet conditions though.
    Wet oil based lubes will last longer overall and are the only thing that will really last in wet conditions but will attract a lot of dirt in dusty conditions.

With time you will get to know the feel and sound of a chain in need of lube.

If you are using a whole can/bottle of degreaser to clean a chain you are doing it wrong.
    If your chain has a Powerlink the easiest/cheapest way to clean it is to take it off the bike, put it in a soda bottle with enough degreaser to immerse it, put the cap on the bottle and shake it around until it looks clean.
    If you don't have a Powerlink (or you like gadgets) get a clip on chain cleaner and run it through that.

Both methods seem to work equally well. If you are poor/cheap/environmentally-conscious you can even re-use the degreaser. Let it sit overnight and the dirt will settle to the bottom. Once the dirt has settled you can pour off most of the clean degreaser and re-use it.

At a certain point though, you just have to let go and realize the chain is a consumable part of the bike, like the tires, and it's going to get dirty (probably within minutes on a mountain bike). You can be too anal about getting it perfectly clean. Just keep it clean-ish and well lubed and every month or so check that it isn't worn to the point it's going to trash your gears.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I lube my chain every ride.

Clean it with Pedro's Biodegreaser

Lube it with Pedro's Syn Lube

Wipe off excess and ride;
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed