1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

how much is it worth $?, unassembled trek 4500 26in. 2001 mod. new?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi
    Hi folks I have never posted here and I am actually a flatlander now that grew up in steamboat and the west slope in the 70,s 80,s .
    I have a new Trek 4500 alum frame ,mens 26 in. it is 2001 yr. "brand new" unassembled" in the box it has rock shox forks and I think that is mostly what I wrote down .
    It was a contest prize in 2001 and just sat and I am disabled pretty bad(epilepsy) and need to sell it for the best $ to raise money to get ph. internet on for me and d.d.(9) .
    So what,s a good asking $ for this bike . when I run an add, been meaning to for yrs and now it is a must . I,m still a freind of jerrys (R.I.P.) and really need some solid advice pls. Thanks Rick in wichita ks. . "Peace"

mtbr member
    bikes depreciate in value pretty rapidly. a brand new 07' trek 4500 sells for around $550, so a 6 year old 4500 might only be worth half of that.

GT IDRIVER
    Nov 2007
    couple hundred bucks and there are plenty of people looking for a winter sled right now so you shouldnt have to much problem selling it.
    keep your chin up i have seen people in allot worse condition than yours do some absolutley amazing things. never give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

MTB SOCAL
    It was probably worth $500-600 back in 2001. It'll be substantially less now, 6 years later. I think if you can get $250 for it, that's pretty good. It may also depend on the components / wheels / etc.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    hi
    Thank you all very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am limited on a lot of stuff (time) so I could,nt look around a lot .
    I think I will advertise at 250$ 275$ and see who bites . Again thanks .
    I was serious I just need to get a pkg. of phone and net. paid ahead of time for as long as possible .
    Also appreciate the thoughts hope it did,nt sound "whiny" I spend a lot of time at the V.A. so I know about not looking far to find a worse situation. thanks very much.Rick
    "it,s not the crazy people you worry about..........it,s the ones that don,t know it"..R.C.