1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

How much should Fox float rear shock travel & can too much pressure damage shock?

Hi, i have a giant trance 29 x0 (2013). it has a Fox Float CTD Boostvalve perfomance, which is 2.25 inches in length i think.

If I pump up the rear shock, until i can't pump it up no more...close to 200 psi, and then a ride around on flat ground in parking lot the shock travels about 1 inch in climb mode.

1inch/2.25 = almost 50%, without going over any bumps, with a high psi, and climb mode! Is this normal, or do i have a defective shock? I would have hoped that the rear shock would be closer to locked out in climb mode. i'm only about 170 lbs.

Also, when i was trying to pump up my shock a while ago the pump broke as i was reaching psi's close to 200, which i hadn't done before. So if you can damage a pump by going close to 200 psi, can you also damage the shock?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Go to Google and type in the name of your shock and the words "set up" after it. This will help you find your way to the Fox website where they will tell you exactly how your shock works and how to set it up.

FWIW, just 'pumping it up until you can't pump it no more' and thinking it's going to work leads me to believe you might be better off with a hardtail.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You add air to it per sag for your weight.
    The climb mode is in essence to "slow" down the compression of the shock to make climbing better.
    Too much air does nothing good for the shock or the riding experience. If you like a firm rear end ( ) go with a shorter travel bike (Giant Anthem/ Spesh Epic) or a hard tail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    200 PSI and it can't go any further? Most shock pumps go to at least 300 PSI it could be the type of pump you're using. If you have no CTD control i.e. you put in in climb but you still have full travel your shock may be cavitated and will need to be serviced. If your shock is maxing out at 200 PSI there is also problem with that shock that will require factory service. It would be very helpful if you could provide body weight and pump type.
    Last edited by Ronnieron12; 06-30-2014 at 06:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Stupid question but you're using a shock pump, right?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Fat-tired Roadie
    The way I understand climb mode, it doesn't lock out the shock at the top of its travel. It just makes it take a very long time for it to move. Maybe even on the order of two minutes. Even out of the saddle, your cadence should probably be on the order of 60 rpm, or 120 little hits. So a damper setting that makes the shock that insensitive would filter that out pretty completely.

It also still has a blow off valve to prevent damage.

Does the shock make any weird noises? What if you try setting sag normally? Have you had it on trails?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx