1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

How much difference does 30mm make for handlebars?

Getting a new bike with 750mm bars. Thinking of going wider, maybe 780mm Renthal Fatbars. Would I notice much difference?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    It's noticeable, but not enough to buy a new handlebar for. That's only a little over 1/2" on each end.

At over 700mm or more, I'd sooner switch out a handlebar for a more agreeable backsweep, than for 30mm of width. JMHO

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    It's noticeable, but not enough to buy a new handlebar for. That's only a little over 1/2" on each end.

At over 700mm or more, I'd sooner switch out a handlebar for a more agreeable backsweep, than for 30mm of width. JMHO

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the input. Is there a good way to figure out what's agreeable without having to go through an expensive trial and error?

mtbr member
    If you've got lock-on grips, you can probably move the grips out a bit to simulate the 1/2" on each side and see how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    That's what I was thinking, thanks for the input. Is there a good way to figure out what's agreeable without having to go through an expensive trial and error?

mtbr member
    Getting a new bike with 750mm bars. Thinking of going wider, maybe 780mm Renthal Fatbars. Would I notice much difference?
    Very noticeable if you pass between trees that are 760mm apart.

As mentioned, you could slide lockon grips/controls out .5inch to simulate.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Didn't you just buy a new bike?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    My Kore Torsion started out as 810mm. I instantly fell in love with the feel & told myself I would never cut 'em down regardless of a few close-calls I had with trees. It wasn't till I actually had a bad crash that I decided to lobb off an inch on both ends bringing my bar to 760mm... haven't done a real ride with it since, but we'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went from 711mm to 750mm and the difference was very noticeable (for the better), I think if you were to go for the 780mm Renthal Fatbar the 30mm difference would be marginal.

I would say ride the 750s for a while see how you like em. You could always go for the 800s or 810s and chop em down to 780.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Didn't you just buy a new bike?
    Same bike, it just isn't here yet! ...I bought it way before release. Anyways, moving the grips on my current bike out tells me that 31" (787 mm) is a near perfect fit so I've been thinking of just starting out with some 780s, maybe 785s, so I can just sell the stock bars as new...or...I guess I could just get the 780s and throw the 750s on my other bike (currently has 711s).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
    My Kore Torsion started out as 810mm. I instantly fell in love with the feel & told myself I would never cut 'em down regardless of a few close-calls I had with trees. It wasn't till I actually had a bad crash that I decided to lobb off an inch on both ends bringing my bar to 760mm... haven't done a real ride with it since, but we'll see how it goes.
    Yikes! 780 seems like the sweet spot for me, I think I'll go for em.

So now, race face atlas? Or fatbars? I'm open to other suggestions too. Everybody please weigh in!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Yikes! 780 seems like the sweet spot for me, I think I'll go for em.

So now, race face atlas? Or fatbars? I'm open to other suggestions too. Everybody please weigh in!
    I REALLY like the Niner Flat Top Carbon 780 bar. Been hammering on one since April and it is super comfortable, both ergonomically, and it absorbs a lot of chatter.