1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

How much abuse can my 2013 Trek Mamba take?

I just got a 2013 Trek Mamba. That was the top of the line for my budget. Anyways, after I got it home, I realized the Trek Mamba has its "Conditions of Use" as follows:

1) Riding on a paved surface where the tires the tires are always on the ground
    +
    2) Smooth gravel roads and groomed trails with low-angle grades and drop-offs of less than 6" (15 cm)

Anything other than this and I can expect the bicycle "to be damaged and break prematurely..causing serious injury or death..yada yada yada".

Of course the Cobia (next up from the Mamba) adds the following:

3) Riding in Conditions 1 and 2, plus rough trails, small obstacles, and smooth technical areas. Jumps should be no more than 24 ( 61 cm).

The components on the Cobia include the following:

Upgrades from Mamba

• RockShox Recon Silver air fork
    • SRAM S800 crank
    • Shimano Deore front derailleur
    • SRAM X5 rear derailleur & shifters
    • Avid Elixir 1 brakes

...sounds pretty terrible...I expected much more, and have been doing much more. I've been jumping a few feet, going through rock gardens, haulin' @ss on bumpy trails, etc. Should I be concerned that one day my bike is just going to get all sorts of effed up, or is it potentially gradually doing that already and unnoticed? Or is it really just Trek covering their @sses? I weigh 200 pounds and would hate to break my frame and self on a "massive" two footer. It seems that the fork is what really gets me to "Condition 3"...which still sounds relatively lame for the riding I like to do.

Thanks in advance!

Cow Clicker
    The whole bike is designed for 1 & 2 but it is the fork, wheels and axles that are the main thing causing the jargon. Likely you will break one of those before the frame. Ride your bike within your and the bike's limits and you will have a better shot at keeping your teeth.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Those clauses are likely there for legal reasons. I have a 12' Mamba and I have beat it pretty good over the last year on my very rocky and root filled trails. If you ride it as the XC bike it is I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    the fork is the biggest upgrade determining the drop distance....
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Disregard the Legal Disclaimer. A fork upgrade and you're golden. Enjoy the trails...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Like already stated, the wheels and fork. I'm pretty sure those wheels are double walled, so it should be alright, but I've still tacoed one before going off a small drop that I wasn't expecting(group ride).