1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

How many miles before your first tune-up

Hi,
    I was wondering how many miles should be put on the bike before the first scheduled tune up.

D

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    When tune up, do you mean the service your LBS offers when you bought the bike?

mtbr member
    When your bike starts to shift a lil sloppy, the brakes are a little loose then its time for your 1st tune.

FKA Malibu412
    If it's for the one included with a bike purchase, about 30 days and/or 100-150 miles. After that, what the 3rd post says.

mtbr member
    After a bike is first ridden hard, the cables will stretch so the shifting and braking becomes imprecise and sloppy. The machine built wheels are usually not stressed at the factory, so they can go out true after a few rides. If you're proficient, or have a buddy who is proficient, with bike repair and tune up, these are simple things to take care of at home; otherwise, the bike shop where the bike was purchased will usually offer a free tune-up within the first month of purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i generally check the bike over before any reasonable ride. I typically look for out of true wheels(complete no go for me, will not ride on non true wheels) and brakes.

I once rode for 40 miles on a really whobbly front wheel on my road bike and was sh8tting my pants on ever switchback coming home wondering if the whole thing was going to give way and I was going to crash.

~Disc~Golf~
    Honestly... ahh I give up

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Most of the time a slight turn or click of your barrel adjustor's will make sloppy brakes and adjustor's sharp again.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Most of the time a slight turn or click of your barrel adjustor's will make sloppy brakes and adjustor's sharp again.
    blasphemy!!!
    take it to the LBS and let them do that!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes, the scheduled tune-up from the LBS.

I've only put 16miles on it (Medium trail riding), and my gears are jumping around all over the place.

Dennis

mtbr member
    Take it to the shop.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by literocola
    Take it to the shop.
    And tell them this isn't the one free tune they didn't set it up right the 1st time.

Unless you layed it down and bent your hanger. Then it's your fault.

My shop offers lifetime brake and adjuster service. so not an issue for me. Oh wait I do it myself so not an issue for me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennis
    Yes, the scheduled tune-up from the LBS.

I've only put 16miles on it (Medium trail riding), and my gears are jumping around all over the place.

Dennis

Play with the shift adjusters a little bit 1/4 turn at a time, so you learn...then take it in so they can set it up perfect again...