1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

How many bikes do you have and what are the setups?

OK... so, between my friend and I, we have about 12 bikes...

I was looking at my bikes and thought, do I have any I can get rid of... The answer is no. So I was wondering what you guys have and the setup of the bikes.

2002 Mongoose Pro Sommet (4 link) setup as a XC bike Size: L (Actually too big for me, but as a XC bike, it's just fine.)

2007 GT iDrive 4 4.0 setup for single track (Large chainring will be replaced with bash guard) Size: M

2010 Diamondback Insight RS commuter bike Size: M

1996 Specialized Hardrock GX (upgraded to Shimano index shifters) Size: S setup as a loaner bike.

I'm eyeballing a hardtail entry level bike in size M for a loaner/days I feel like riding a hard tail... but not sure if I want one yet.

Bike builder
    2005 Kona Stinky Dee-Lux for DH/Freeriding (also with a dual ring setup so can be ridden uphill)

Old burly Planet-X hardtail with air forks, good for longer rides and also doubles as a reasonable jump/street bike.

2008 Charge Stove for commuting and playing. I love this bike, singlespeed, rigid, cheap as chips but great fun. The rear hub exploded on the me the other day so now I'm rebuilding the rim with a DMR Revolver SS hub.

If I were going to buy another bike? Well it would probably be (whisper it) a road bike!
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

So how does this work, beginners with multiple bikes in multiple disciplines? Just a beginner in each one?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I have two:

2005 Raleigh M50DX that I bought new and did not ride until last year. I quickly killed it and upgraded to...

2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp. Stock except for an X.9 rear derailleur.

I am getting ready to do my first build and will look something like this:

Frame - Siren John Henry semi-custom built
    Fork - Rockshox Tora 318 Solo Air
    Front derailleur - Shimano XT
    Rear derailleur - SRAM X.9
    Shifter - X.9 triggers
    Brakes - BB7 185mm
    Brake levers - Avid Dial 7
    Brake cable - Jagwire Ripcord
    Seat post -
    Seat post collar -
    Seat - Specialized Avatar Gel
    Handlebars - Titec Hellbent
    Grips - Ergo grips
    Pedals - Time ATAC Alium
    Headset - Cane Creek
    Stem -
    Tires - Nevegals
    Chain - KMC X9
    Cassette - Shimano HG61 9-Speed 12-36
    Crank/bottom bracket - Race Face Evolve DH Bash-32-22T
    Wheelset - Sun-Ringle MTX 33, 36 hole, with Hope Pro 2 hubs with steel freehub body. DT Swiss double butted spokes

Picture Unrelated
    Yes, strange topic for the beginner forum but:

New Yeti ASR 7
    Fisher Bitter set up DJ
    ~97 Fisher Tassajara singlspeed conversion
    Trek Cruiser Classic
    80s Cicli B fixie nicknamed "The Jihad"

Sure could use a DH bike, maybe a 29er SS, new jump bike... going to have to expand the garage.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I currently have 3 bikes in my stable.

AM bike - 2006 Yeti AS-X
    XC bike - 1999 Specialized FSR Ground Control
    Bike Path/Road bike - 2008 Trek 7.3FX

Eventually, I plan to replace my 99 FSR with a Yeti AS-R or other quality light XC bike.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    wife and i used to have 11...now only 9.....soon to be back at 10 again.....

you don't want to know the builds.....your head would 'pop'

Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's in my sig. I'm not sure how it happened - I only had a mountain bike when I was in college, and now I'm at three road bikes and one mountain bike.

The LeMond is a road bike, set up for medium to long unladen rides. I've owned it longer than any of my others. The Raleigh's also a road bike, but it's set up for commuting and leaving locked outside, and has flat pedals, a rack and fenders. The Kona is a cyclocross bike. It's currently set up for my girlfriend, as a road bike, but I've raced it in the last two seasons and plan to race it again this Fall, in cyclocross races. The Specialized is set up with a shorter fork and flat bars, for quicker handling and better pedaling efficiency and climbing. Of all my bikes, it's the furthest from stock. One of these days, I'll be able to afford a new mountain bike frame, and then I'll strip it to build that - its build is slowly getting pretty good.

Sometimes I think my LeMond is redundant, and then I go for a ride on it and am reminded that it's better on the road than anything else I own, by a longshot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    3 here so far
    '10 Gary Fisher Piranha - my xc bike...... the wife is not allowed to touch it anymore (she dropped it on the driveway the first week I got it)
    '08 Giant Yukon FX - Wife's bike but I also ride it on occasion. It's a nice change from the hardtail
    '09 Diamondback Sorrento - loaner/beater, kid trailer is usually attached

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by angryemu
    3 here so far
    '10 Gary Fisher Piranha - my xc bike...... the wife is not allowed to touch it anymore (she dropped it on the driveway the first week I got it)
    '08 Giant Yukon FX - Wife's bike but I also ride it on occasion. It's a nice change from the hardtail
    '09 Diamondback Sorrento - loaner/beater, kid trailer is usually attached
    How do you like that Yukon FX? That's one of the bikes I've been interested in.

Hardwarz

deals with engineers...
    '07 fuji cross pro, stock wheels with road tires, new wheels with cross tires (added last fall). This was my entry to biking 2 years ago.
    '10 gary fisher x-caliber.

I should be set for a while, but a beater bike for local travel might be nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Yes, strange topic for the beginner forum but:

New Yeti ASR 7
    Fisher Bitter set up DJ
    ~97 Fisher Tassajara singlspeed conversion
    Trek Cruiser Classic
    80s Cicli B fixie nicknamed "The Jihad"

Sure could use a DH bike, maybe a 29er SS, new jump bike... going to have to expand the garage.
    OK, not a beginner topic... but one that is getting answered none the less. lol.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I got two in my arsenal

Stock 2009 Trek EX8, wanting new tires and brakes and already changed pedals

old ass schwinn caliente I use for commuting, slapped some fenders on it, its heavy as a rock but it gets me around and I never worry about it

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    2000 Trek 6500: Rs Judy, Full Xt, Xt Hubs W/ Mavic Wheels & Dt Spokes
    2000 Trek 5500 Road: Full Dura Ace, Mavic Ksyriums
    2009 Fuji Tahoe Comp 29er 1x9: Xt Rear, Xt Cranks W/ Spot Bash Guard And N-gear Retainer, Xt Cassette, Stock Wheels, Avid Bb7's, Ergon Grips

Misses elastomer shocks
    i guess this is to be answered by the non-beginner lurkers who chime in to answer newb questions

Iron Horse Azure - XTR/XT
    GT Zaskar - XT
    GT Zaskar - single speed currently in pieces
    Access Alu - 1x9 XTish
    Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo - elevated chainstays - in pieces
    Knesis FS frame 5" travel - XT/LX build
    Specialized Sirrus - LX hybrid - damaged frame but I still ride it
    Nashbar brand frame cyclocross bike - all sorts of parts from the garage
    Scattante CFR (full carbon) - Dura Ace 16.8lbs with pedals, cages, pump and computer
    Schwinn Jett - POS walmart bike on its way to the dumpster
    Torker Unicycle

I'm pretty sure I have a problem. I love working on them, so every time I accumulate enough parts, I build another.

Okay, I'll play

Santa Cruz Nomad, Fox Van36/DHXC5, SLX/XT 9sp drivetrain, Elixir CR, King hs/hubs
    Santa Cruz Heckler (07) Fox Van32/DHXC5, XT 9sp, BB7s, 650b/King hubs
    Santa Cruz Heckler (02), Marzocchi Z1FR, 5th Element coil, DT/Hope hubs, XT 9sp, BB7s
    Santa Cruz Heckler (99), Fox Float RC, Manitou Minute 2, King hs/hubs, XTR/XT 8sp, ceramic rims/v's
    Moots YBB, Marzocchi Z2, XTR 8 speed, BB7 front, rear ceramic/v's, King hs/hubs
    Trek OCLV ss, Surly rigid fork, ceramic/v's, Spot/King hubs, ceramic rims
    American Breezer, XT 7sp mostly stock (thumb shifters!)
    Trek 2300 (old carbon/aluminum frame), Tiagra/600 mix, Eno eccentric rear flip flop fixie/ss
    TST, Ultegra/DA mix 9 sp downtube shifting

I built most of the wheels, mostly Mavic rims, some Sun Equalizers, too. Several sets of Syntace VRO stem/bars.
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 04-14-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ill play also,

I have 2.
    - Trek 3700 SLX/Alivio set up, for comuting and light XC/Trails
    - Giant Rainier 2006, X9 Drive Train, elixir , Tora 302 U-coil for Trails/AM

mtbr member
    Have 2,

2008 Giant Reign X1, AM/Mini DH
    2004 Giant NRS1, XC

pants on head retarded
    4 bikes -

- Santa Cruz Blur XC as my general do it all offroad bike (I'm light )
    - '97 Trek 7000 with slicks for geared commuting/loaner (doesn't see much use anymore)
    - Surly Cross Check single speed / fixed for commuting. It may get gears and offroad use... I just finished it so still figuring it out.
    - 04 or so KHS Alight 1000 in small as a loaner (gf used it until she got her own)

I figure if you have the garage space and can afford to hang on to your old beater it is great to loan out to friends. I've gotten two more people into the sport just this year off of my loaners

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

6 in my two bedroom

Wife's 08 Giant Rincon
    Wife's 09 Giant Transcend commuter
    Dog's old beach cruiser with basket- 10 speed for hauling the pug around the beach
    Project bike-Old Katakura Silk 3 speed- set up to waste space and collect dust
    My 08 Rocky Mountain Soul hardtail (first real mountain bike) for xc and tooling around town
    My 08 Giant Trance X1 - wife bought me for xmas- stock components, used for xc and trails, plus the occasional night-time city run.
    Last edited by baklamente; 04-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok here's my bikes:

2003 Raleigh M60 (my old kick around mtb and what got me started in mtbing)
    2007 Stumpjumper HT Comp (my main gun and race bike...love it)
    2009 Specialized Allez Road Bike (great starter road bike to log some miles)
    2008 Townie Cruiser (wife's bike, but I take it for a leisure spin every now and then)
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

Religion = Non-thinking
    i have 2, one for the pavement, one for the trails:

-2009 Tricross Singlecross w/ 700x23c tires
    -2010 Rockhopper SL Pro w/ 26x2.2 tires
    RH SL Pro

the test dummy
    ill play
    2008 jamis parker 1- literally my every thing bike be it dj fr am xc dh even road biking. its got some upgrades the spec list is in my profile
    1997 gt freestye pro team tour or what ever was gonna try to teach my self flat land but don't have the time. it has grips now its an older pic.
    Raleigh ltd 10 speed road bike- kinda just have it only has like 70 miles since i restored it, the thing was back when i got it and i didn't repaint it
    hears pics of them, i got a few others just not worth typing in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many bikes do you have and what are the setups?-bike-pic.jpg  

How many bikes do you have and what are the setups?-almost-done.jpg  

How many bikes do you have and what are the setups?-0319101019.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have one 09 Trek 6000 set up more for tour riding. Mainly stock bike other then a rack on the back and less agressive tires. One bike is enough for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    How do you like that Yukon FX? That's one of the bikes I've been interested in.

Hardwarz
    I bought the frame on ebay for cheap and built it up from there. The only stock part is the rear shock. It isn't the lightest bike I've owned but for the setup I have, I enjoy it.
    RS Tora 318 U-turn
    Sram X-7 all around
    Avid BB7
    WTB Velociraptors
    XT hubs on Mach 1 wheels
    Truvativ Crankset

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast