mtbr member
    Aug 2017

How to maintain tubeless tire and other things?

I have very recently bought a mountain bike. I bought a Trek Roscoe 7, which I felt was the best when I rode it. I love the feel and the way it just goes over everything. They then insisted on tubeless, so I did.

I know absolutely 0 on how to inflate the tire when it needs to be done. Really need help with this. I am a complete newbie, so any advice that is as simple as possible would be awesome.

Feel embarrassed to ask this, but I have been wanting to do MTB for years and so I just decided to jump right in.

Also, have no equipment for inflating it. No idea what to get and didn't want to ask bike shop and pay more when I know i could get cheaper.

I'm a 100% noob, but I will get better!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Any normal bike floor pump is fine, inflate just like you would with tubes.

mtbr member
    The first thing you need to do is look at your valve stems. If they look like the ones on your car, they are Schrader valves, if they are thinner than the valve stem on your car and have a little knurled on top then they are Presta valves. Since you specifically mentioned tubeless tires, Presta valves are more likely. You'll need a pump that fits your valves, some will have a double sided head that fits both.

All tubeless tires lose a little pressure over time, so you'll want a tire pressure gauge to check that with. It's impossible to give you a precise air pressure to run, because there's just too many variables to consider. You can ask the shop you brought it from what they suggest, or you can use the time honored approach of filling them to near the max pressure printed on the sidewall and then decreasing pressure as you ride until it feels "right" to you.

In general, higher pressures will roll faster but may have less traction in certain situations; lower pressures have better traction but too low can run the risk of allowing the tire to become unseated from the rim. That can be tricky to fix trailside for a beginner (no offense). Too low of a pressure can also feel like you're dragging an anchor. You want to find your sweet spot between too high and too low. Best way to find this sweet spot is to ride your bike. A lot.

Lastly, tubeless tires almost always have a liquid sealant like Stan's NoTubes that will need to be replaced every so often. You'll know when it's time when your tires start losing pressure after just a couple days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Then what is with using a CO2 inflator? I have read things about it and its confusing me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanevette View Post
    Then what is with using a CO2 inflator? I have read things about it and its confusing me.
    It's hard to put out enough air fast enough with a hand pump (it can be done, but it's harder) to inflate a tubeless tire, so a CO2 inflator is used to inflate the tire faster. Unless the tire has come partially off the rim, a CO2 inflator isn't a necessity, but they can be handy. Word of advice, have your shop show you how to use the inflator. When the CO2 cartride is discharged, the outside of the cartridge will get quite cold. It's pretty startling the first time you see it.

because GIANT
    CO2 inflator is a waste unless you are racing.

get a small pump you can carry in a camelbak is good enough
    https://www.blackburndesign.com/pump...alve-pump.html

get a floor pump for home

tubeless maintenance....depending on the sealant just add more sealant every 2 months more or less, or if the tires start to lose pressure faster. once every 6 months to a year remove tires, and clean out the dried up globs

you really only need

chain lube
    presta valve core remover
    a pump
    set of allen keys
    chain breaker
    tubeless goo
    floor pump
    spoke wrench
    a regular toob in case you do flat and can't pump up the tubeless tire
    stick a tube in it (or a 'boot' if sidewall is ripped and stick the tube in it)

for 99% of the time you ride the bike
    "Eating Spam, and Oreos, and drinking Thunderbird, baby" -Baby Huey/James Ramey

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    One thing that might be helpful for you is to find some videos on YouTube to watch on the subject. Search for videos on how to inflate bicycle tire for starters. There are a lot and ones that show for presta and Schraeder valves. There are also videos about tubeless setup and all that should be helpful.

As mentioned before, you're going to need a pump and a pressure gauge. Some pumps have built in gauges, but they don't seem to be as accurate as a separate one. Your bike shop can be a great resource for information too. Maybe go back to the shop you got your bike from and explain that you need some guidance. Most shops are glad to help out with this sort of thing, especially if you bought a bike from them and sometimes will give discounts on accessories when you buy a bike. I know that here where I live(Phoenix AZ area) some of the bike shops do basic maintenance classes. If you don't feel comfortable at the shop where you bought your bike, try another shop if you have one close. Good luck!

mtbr member
    ^^ Yep, came to say Youtube is your friend, even for the simplest questions.

These pumps (mini and floor) is what I have, and they are any valve.

This one has bad reviews, but IME it works fine,I actually have 2 of them, and just recently got a floor pump. You need a floor pump

Blackburn Mountain Anyvalve Pump > Accessories > Pumps & Inflation > Hand Pumps | Jenson USA

Floor pump:

Blackburn Airtower 1 Floor Pump > Accessories > Pumps & Inflation > Floor Pumps | Jenson USA

That one is on sale.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    CO2 inflator is a waste unless you are racing.

get a small pump you can carry in a camelbak is good enough
    https://www.blackburndesign.com/pump...alve-pump.html

get a floor pump for home

tubeless maintenance....depending on the sealant just add more sealant every 2 months more or less, or if the tires start to lose pressure faster. once every 6 months to a year remove tires, and clean out the dried up globs

you really only need

chain lube
    presta valve core remover
    a pump
    set of allen keys
    chain breaker
    tubeless goo
    floor pump
    spoke wrench
    a regular toob in case you do flat and can't pump up the tubeless tire
    stick a tube in it (or a 'boot' if sidewall is ripped and stick the tube in it)

for 99% of the time you ride the bike
    Oops missed your post.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Everyone's feedback is helping me out a ton and making me less intimidated. Thank you so much

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    as a noob to mtb, youtube is the best thing ever....even helped me through nursing school

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Awesome! I'll be going into nursing school within a year. Thank you for the help. Went on my first awesome trail yesterday and had a blast.

I'll be looking at YouTube to learn how to maintain my whole bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    since your tires are set up tubeless the hard work is done. you need to maintain air pressure like any other tire.
    check psi and add accordingly before every ride. i prefer Topeak floor pump that has a head that can fit either schrader or presto valves. the shop should have set yours up with Presta.

in terms of your specific tires, read the sidewalls for the minimum psi. i usually inflate to 5 psi LESS than minimum for tubeless rear, and 7-8 LESS than minimum psi for front. that is just me.

you need to add sealant periodically to maintain tubeless. I prefer Orange sealant. get a gal a core removal tool, and large syringe kit and watch the video it is very easy. you will be a pro in no time. YouMUST keep fray sealant in the tire. if you ignore sealant refills you WILL have problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk