1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

How long till I decide to take this whole box of parts to my LBS

I used to do all types of maintenance and a bike build or two. I know I should be able to put this together. As soon as I put the v brakes on they bottom out before they should, what ? Never heard of such a thing. If I'm having trouble with this what happens when I get to something I've never done before?? Like the bar end shifters?? How long before I totally give up and take my box of parts to the LBS! I really want to do it myself, so anyone know why my v brakes won't cover the brazon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    pics are always helpful

mtbr member
    When you say "bottom out" are you saying the brake lever hits the handlebar before the brakes start working?
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you using the right levers? If you are trying to use canilever levers with v-brakes the cable pull isn't the same, you need to be able to pull more cable for the v's.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    are the brake arms/mounts bottoming out on the mounts on the fork/frame? sometimes there's a bit of paint or a burr there that needs to be filed down.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

What I ment was...

I haven't even put the cables on it. I just slid the brake over the braze on and it felt like, and looked like the brakes didn't cover the braze on. I did take photos but will have to post tomorrow. I'm also going to look at my other bikes and see if they have as large a space between the brake arm and the frame.

I thought I'd be able to add a photo of a typical braze on brake boss to show the area but I'm having trouble finding one that doesn't have the brakes already attached. I'm sure this is going to be something that I'm doing that is completely stupid on my part.
    Last edited by Hartmame; 12-28-2011 at 08:46 PM.

better than I deserve
    What kind of frame? Are they the old roller cam or U brake mounts and not V maybe? I have a bike with XT U brake behind the bottom bracket and it is not compatible with V brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Its a Surly frame '11 LHT and the V-brakes are from 2000 maybe. I feel like I'm missing a washer that goes on the brake boss first or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Make sure that the pin on the v-brake arm is in one of the braze on holes. Some frames come with 3 while others come with just one. I'd make sure it's in the middle one if there are 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

hope this works

I've never attached an image before I hope this works. On the right is a Deore V-brake with a taper that is the same as the brake boss. On the left is the XT V-brake no taper so it hits the boss where it gets larger at the bottom. Is there part of this V-brake that I'm missing??

I only have one Deore V so I still need to use the XTs Anyone know how I can do that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How long till I decide to take this whole box of parts to my LBS-img_0397.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yikes this image is really large! Well, you can certainly see what I'm talking about...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You aren't missing any parts. I've attached a pic of the back of my XTR brakes which are basically the same.

I think I understand what you are explaining, and without actually having my hands on it and looking at it, I think as long as the brake arm is on there and the pin is flush in one of the little holes next to the brazeon, you are good to go.

You could take it to a shop if you still feel uncomfortable about it. I mean, don't let them fix it, just have another set of eyes/hands look at it for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How long till I decide to take this whole box of parts to my LBS-earlyjulymadness-037.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The thing that I don't like is that they feel they wiggle around a bit on the brake boss and that there is some bare metal of the brake boss that is exposed to the elements. I'm taking one set down to the LBS to see what they think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cool deal.

Might wanna bring the frame with you just so they have a reference point.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmame View Post
    The thing that I don't like is that they feel they wiggle around a bit on the brake boss and that there is some bare metal of the brake boss that is exposed to the elements. I'm taking one set down to the LBS to see what they think.
    Probably a good idea to take it to the shop, but if they didn't have any play when you put them on the posts then they wouldn't move when you tighten down the brake fixing bolt. You don't want them installed so that the brake fixing bolt can be snugged down against the brake arm, that would keep the arm from moving.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

better than I deserve
    Something`s not adding up with the XT arm where is the tension adjustment? Does not look like other V brake designs I have seen? Clean parts are happier parts..lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It feels like something isn't right to me as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How long till I decide to take this whole box of parts to my LBS-img_0403.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    These are BR-M750 parallel push style. They don't even make them like that anymore as far as I know.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830611886.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Paint the part that shows

LBS suggested painting the bare steel of the boss that isn't covered by the brake arm. What did they do back in the day?

better than I deserve
    I don`t see now those will ever work right.After studying the your pic and pictorial you posted I think your are missing a spacer on the bottom side that makes it fit the brake boss properly.?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Take a picture from the side with the brake arm on the frame that shows the gap bwteen the arm and the bottom of the boss.

How big is the gap?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Also note, the brake arms are fine. Nothing is missing, nothing is out of place.

Do a search on the internet for br m750 brakes and you'll notice that all of the brakes look just like the one you posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How long till I decide to take this whole box of parts to my LBS-br-m750_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    Something`s not adding up with the XT arm where is the tension adjustment? Does not look like other V brake designs I have seen? Clean parts are happier parts..lol
    The tension adjustment is via an allen bolt on the side which puts pressure on the leverage arm. This is also shown in the pdf tech doc he linked.

My XTRs are basically the same as those XTs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A quick question for my understanding.

Are you using an XT arm and a Deore arm on the same side(for instance, a left xt arm and a right deore arm)?

Or are you using a full XT set in the front (or rear) and a full Deore on the other end?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have two full sets of the XT brakes for my bike. I only used the Deore brake arm as an example of what I was expecting the end of the brake arm to look like and what is causing the gap.

I didn't see a spacer or washer on the tech spec sheet. Since the brake arm doesn't flair to cover the bottom of the brake boss, it is that bottom section of the brake boss that is unpainted and left exposed to the elements. Are you guys thinking I should find some kind of washer or spacer rather than painting the lower section of the brake boss?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast