1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    1.21 Jigowatts!

How To Identify...

...exactly what rear derailleur came on my old bike. It's from '95 so not a lot of resources out there. I know its a Shimano XT rear derailleur, but nothing else.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

1.21 Jigowatts!
    found a web page that says it came with "Shimano Deore XT SS". What does the SS stand for?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

All 26.5" all the time!
    SS would refer to the cage length.

SGS = long
    SG = medium
    SS = short

The odd thing is, Shimano stopped making XT rear derailleurs with an SS cage in 1993.

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    SS would refer to the cage length.

SGS = long
    SG = medium
    SS = short

The odd thing is, Shimano stopped making XT rear derailleurs with an SS cage in 1993.

That is weird, because so far everyone I have spoken to says that I would need a long cage for the bike. I know the bike is from '95. Maybe the web site is wrong. Is there a serial number or model number somewhere on the derailleurs I'm missing?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Well.... I have 22/32/42 crank set and the cassette is an 8 speed with 11 teeth on the small end and 28 on the higher end. I would need a long rear derailleur for sure.... right?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    yeah, unless you dont use big ring-big cog combo or the small ring-small cog combo
    i ride my bi*ch hard

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by brubakes
    That is weird, because so far everyone I have spoken to says that I would need a long cage for the bike. I know the bike is from '95. Maybe the web site is wrong. Is there a serial number or model number somewhere on the derailleurs I'm missing?
    This is your bike, right?

That is most certainly a long cage rear derailleur. You might be able to get away with a mid cage if you're careful about cross chaining.

Former Bike Wrench
    I can almost guarantee it came with a long cage (ie SGS). I worked in a shop that sold those Diamond Back WCF bikes, and though it was a while ago, I'm pretty confident it would have came with a long cage.

1.21 Jigowatts!
    This is your bike, right?

That is most certainly a long cage rear derailleur. You might be able to get away with a mid cage if you're careful about cross chaining.
    Yup, thats my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by the_godfather
    yeah, unless you dont use big ring-big cog combo or the small ring-small cog combo
    What do you mean? If I have have the gears and they were able able to be used before, I want to make sure they are all able to be used again. I know its not idea going from one extreme to the other, but it had always worked up until I broke this derailleur.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

1.21 Jigowatts!
    In theory any 8 speed long rear derailleur should work? There are a lot on ebay.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

All 26.5" all the time!
    Yep, any long cage shimano 8 or 9 speed speed rear derailleur will work fine.

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Yep, any long cage shimano 8 or 9 speed speed rear derailleur will work fine.
    being the bike is an 8 speed are there pros and cons for getting a dérailleur thats a 9 speed?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    A 9 spd derailleur will work well with 8 spd shifters.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Doh! There is a model number right on the backside of the rear derailleur. The old bent one is an RD-737. Can anyone tell me if a XTR RD-M952 should bolt right in its place?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    it sould bolt right up as long as it is a SGS ( long cage ) model

1.21 Jigowatts!
    thanks everyone for your help. I just got done installing my "new" XTR rear derailleur on my good old WCF Vertex. Shifts much better then the old bent XT and I'm glad I did the job myself. Again, thanks for helping a n00b!
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Umm, what's a cage? Is that the part of the derailer that goes up and down when you shift?

Yeah, I'm a noob, trying to learn about components.

mtbr member
    the cage is the arm of the RD that extends down from the main body. it houses the upper guide pully and lower tension pully.