1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Suckin wind like a boss

how-to help: odi clamps

so i got a set of rogues, and cannot for the life of me figure how to get the clamp around the grip end. seems like im going to have to pry the clamp ring open with a screwdriver or something to get it wide enough for the clamp ring to fit over the grip end... that sound right? i dont want to hamburger my grips before i even get them installed.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Huh. Are the lock-ring screws completely loosened up? Maybe a gentle tap from a rubber mallet would coax them on without having to pry them open more...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just put one side halfway on, grab it with the kung fu grip and slam it on the workbench. Snaps right on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I just put one side halfway on, grab it with the kung fu grip and slam it on the workbench. Snaps right on.
    This^^^^^

Picture Unrelated
    I do this, or some similar version of this but I make sure the bolt is out of the ring before I do. Just to make sure.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Decatur_Tide View Post
    This^^^^^
    Yup, that's my official unofficial way to do it.

I put some colored ones on I didn't want to scratch, so I put it halfway on, covered with a rag, and tapped with a mallet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Same here, I just put a set of ODI Ruffians on my bike. I put a towel on my workbench, put the ring in place and then just rapped it down a couple times and it popped right on.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Huh. Are the lock-ring screws completely loosened up? Maybe a gentle tap from a rubber mallet would coax them on without having to pry them open more...
    Yeah they come in the package with no bolts installed, they are bagged separately. Tried prying them open with a screwdriver but that was quickly dismissed- those rings are stiff.

I was thinking about doing the half-on-and-slam trick but I wanted to be sure that was a valid method. I didn't want to blow the tabs off the grip in the process.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Let us know what worked. I've not used ODIs (only the Peaty lock-ons and some other cheapies) so I'd certainly like to know the outcome.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Let us know what worked. I've not used ODIs (only the Peaty lock-ons and some other cheapies) so I'd certainly like to know the outcome.
    Will do. In the midst of a long double today, and have to open tomorrow, so I'll get to em after work tomorrow. Might even take pics for show and tell.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How I did mine was put the clamp half way on, then put that clamp on the ground with the grip sticking up. Then put my palm on the end of the grip and push it strait down with my body weight. Popped right on, flip over to do the other side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I get one side started, put my thumb on the other side and gently pry the clamp open with a screw driver until I press it on.

I did the slamming install on my first pair, it does more damage to the plastic tabs the clamps lock on to. After a year I started having play in between the grip and clamp. A buddy that got a set shortly after I did, used the pry method and the grips are still as tight as the first day he installed them.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    How I did mine was put the clamp half way on, then put that clamp on the ground with the grip sticking up. Then put my palm on the end of the grip and push it strait down with my body weight. Popped right on, flip over to do the other side.
    I do this, put it on half way and then set that down on a hard surface and apply brute strength until it snaps together, with the half on clamp in between the grip and ground.

I always wondered if there was a better way though

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    Same here. I suggest doing it this way as well.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Suckin wind like a boss
    i just did it on the floor between my legs while i was taking my pre-snooze dump. piece of cake- and the little bit of effort i had to exert to get the rings to snap on, was all the effort needed to make the movement a momentary thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's how I did it too, however I have one end plug that still spins, any tighter on the screw and I'm stripping threads.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I get one side started, put my thumb on the other side and gently pry the clamp open with a screw driver until I press it on.

I did the slamming install on my first pair, it does more damage to the plastic tabs the clamps lock on to. After a year I started having play in between the grip and clamp. A buddy that got a set shortly after I did, used the pry method and the grips are still as tight as the first day he installed them.
    I've done it both ways and didn't see a big difference. My grips usually don't last a year before the rubber at the outside edge is down to the plastic.

Big wheels small brain
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i just did it on the floor between my legs while i was taking my pre-snooze dump. piece of cake- and the little bit of effort i had to exert to get the rings to snap on, was all the effort needed to make the movement a momentary thing
    Good thing you decided to forgoe the pictures.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i just did it on the floor between my legs while i was taking my pre-snooze dump. Piece of cake- and the little bit of effort i had to exert to get the rings to snap on, was all the effort needed to make the movement a momentary thing :d
    tmi

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 for the body weight method. Admittedly I was pretty confused when I got the grips since they said "super easy on locking system." I found that tapping one end in, then leaning hard on the other side worked. I stripped one of my hex keys trying to tighten them up though, kind of annoyed about that. =/

Suckin wind like a boss
    for the record, the hardest part of installing these grips, was figuring where to align the locking rings so the bolt heads werent sticking up anywhere my hand might ride on the grip. im 50/50 with gloves, so they had to be rolled over to the bottom front of the bar- and they arent symmetrical from one side to the other, which nags at my need for symmetry.

i got over it on the first ride with them, because the grips are amazing. no gloves, and a good technical ride worked up a fierce sweat in 100% humidity, and not only did my hands not slip, but the numbness i had been experiencing for months never showed its annoying face on the ride.

two thumbs up for these grips, for sure.

and davyray, time for you to htfu.