1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I reckon y'all fixin to..

How to get the wife to agree?

This may be somewhat straight forward, but others may be able to share some insight as to what worked for them.

I brought up "buying us a couple of bikes" to my wife, and she looked at me funny and chuckled and said, "I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12." So I was completely so far off to even think that she would even think about wanting to cruise some trails (or even around town for that matter). This also hurts my ability to be able to get deeper into the sport if she wants nothing to do with it. We're the type of couple who enjoys doing things together. We always have. We don't ever go out separately, and we rarely do something that the other one doesn't want to do. Which is kind of a shame sometimes because, I like to hike and ride mountain bikes on trails, and she doesn't. So this alone makes no sense to her as to why I would want to invest any money into buying a bike and actually take trips to different trails. We do like to camp, and here in Northern Nevada there are tons of campgrounds set up right at trailheads. But for us to go there and me to be like, "Okay, see ya later," wouldn't go over very well.

I understand that there are easy trails that wouldn't be too strenuous for her, but how to even get to that point? How to convince her it would be something fun to try?

I still have one trick left up my sleeve. Her daughter. She's 15. I am of course step-dad. I recently got a bike (nothing fancy whatsover) and she has a bike (nothing fancy either), but I think the guilt trip of us going on rides without mom will eventually win mom over into letting me get her something.

Any suggestions? Similar stories?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    dont have sex with her until she goes on a ride with you. that'll teach her.

Interesting idea, but I think it will work against my goal faster than it will for it.

Muffler Bearings
    Dont push into doing something that she is not into. She will start having resentment towards you. Just have fun and ride, if she sees you having fun, she will be more into trying it out with you.

Trust me, been there buddy.

Bebe's Dad

Let's see...

you said; "I brought up "buying us a couple of bikes" to my wife, and she looked at me funny and chuckled and said, "I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12." So I was completely so far off to even think that she would even think about wanting to cruise some trails (or even around town for that matter)".
    O.K. so you've, "planted the seed", now you wait a day or two and you bring it up again. I'd suggest mentioning the logic behind your desire to camp, hike, etc...biking kinda' ties into that...don't you agree?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    tell her shes looking pretty pudgy these days, maybe she could use some excercise/a bike ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just purchased a second bike, and My wife asked "so are you gonna lower the seat on (old Bike) so we can ride around" GREAT!!!!!!

I ride AM,well as AM as you can in FL. But was planning on setting up the old one as a commuter. So for my wife its roads today, trails tomorrow......Im not holding my breath.

I agree with racer, dont push it, ive been re-riding for about 4yrs though bi weekly now for 5 months. she will want to enjoy it with you. If not Christmas and the sales are right around the corner. better then buying her a vacuum :-)
    Darn another Root...Pedal, pedal, pedal.....

mtbr member
    If your wife isn't interested don't push her into it. But don't let that stop you from riding.

My wife doesn't ride but has no problem with my riding. It wasn't always that way though. Like you and your wife, we used to be one of those couples that always does things together. After 10 years or so, however, we had pretty much OD'd on each other and were at each others throats. That's when we realized that she needed her thing, I needed my thing, and we needed to give each other time to do those things. We still spend a lot of time together, with and w/o our 5yo daughter, we're just not joined at the hip anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gitCHu ONe
    But for us to go there and me to be like, "Okay, see ya later," wouldn't go over very well.

Suck it up and get used to it...we all have. Frankly, my wife has her activities and I have mine. We have tried joining in on each others and we both cam e to the conclusion that each others sucks. So we meet in the middle. Trust me when I say she won't be happy when you leave the house Saturday morning at 7 am and don't return until near dark, but she'll get over it.

Now that being said, I have friends whose wives MTB with us and its not the same as a day in the bush with the boys.

Here's hoping! Thanks for the suggestions.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    My wife knew I wanted a bike, but didnt know the $$ factor. In the end anything over her idea of 'enough' ($400) came out of another hobby. Luckily I had a pile of stuff from that hobby to sell. And then sell some more. All told it was a couple grand in the 'mad money paypal account'..
    CDT

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    another thing to think of ... if you do get her into riding .. and she does enjoy it ... there goes one more activity that you can go do 'on your own' for when you need to escape for a while ...

what, at one time, was something fun that you looked forward to ... suddenly has become a chore because of who is going with you ...

i gave up on getting my wife on a bike, i just tell her bye when i am leavin ... and haul ass out the door ... and listen to her ***** when i get back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If anyone had ever asked me to go mtn biking I woulda told them they were crazy. I got into it by total accident. I love the challenge.

If she likes to camp, likes to be in the woods, how can she not like riding a bike through the woods? I'm too lazy for long hikes, but riding you can go far with less effort. So you are getting the bikes to take camping cause she doesn't like to hike and you can go farther and see more that way.

mtbr member
    I got the kids interested, and then she didn't want to be left out of the fun. At first, she didn't want to ride anything except fire roads. That was fine, then she progressed and I took her on easy single track. Now we're into moderate single track, when we ride together. Other times, I'll take our son on harder stuff, and she'll take our daughter on easier stuff, and we'll arrange to meet at a trail junction. It's all good.

mtbr member
    Just like furniture and women...rent before you own.
    Rent a bike for the day and see if she really likes it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was in the same situation when i got my quad. (I know this is a MTB forum, But hear me out. I went through this with my first MTB a couple of months ago also) I bothered my wife for about 6 months that I wanted to buy a quad and to no luck, the answer was no. I live in an area that I can go riding outside my door and don't have to trailer anywhere. After I said the hell with it and purchased one anyway. She was pissed at first, but soon got over it. She enjoys watching me take the kids for a ride. When I decided to get into biking it was the same thing. She is not an outdoor trek through the woods person so I got a bunch of you know what when I told her that I was buying a MTB to go riding. I did not go out and buy a top of the line bike mind you, I bought an entry level so that the price was not to bad. She eventually got over it again and enjoys watching the kids and myself go for rides.

If it is something that you want to do then go do it and buy what you can afford. You already approached her about it and told her it is something that you want to do. She really doesn't have a right to tell you that you can't and my personal belief is that we need our own activities as well as having activities together. I have been married for 10 yrs know. She sees it differently, but understands who I am. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds kind of familiar. I did my best to bring my wife to mountain biking and even had some success, however limited and temporary. By the way, my wife was once a competitive rock climber and has always been in good shape. Besides, she comes from a small town, where bicycle used to be the main means of transportation. Still, I failed to make her love biking. She would ride with me - doing me a favor, but nothing more than that. Even though she rode no worse, than my male buddies. Eventually, I gave in and had to get her a country club subscription instead(at cost of a very decent bike!) - so now she can push pedals on a spinning bike in an air conditioned room .
    So each one of us has his/her own activity, we can do it when and how we want to - anyway, having some distance between us from time to time won't harm, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like ya'll may be newlyweds, I had similar issues with my "outdoor" pursuits years ago. We been married almost 20 years now, my wife still not interested in any of it (camping, kayaking, biking). Some gals are just girly girls, home decor, hair, nails, etc. If you gots a girly girl, then that's cool, she's probably keepin your nest in order. She probably also trying to keep you in order, I call it the "nesting phenomena", it's biology bro. That said, I was slowly given my freedom to enjoy my outdoor pursuits - I take the nephew sometimes, go with friends, but often bike alone. If you got the two wheel bug, it probably ain't gonna go away, just take it slow on the "separate adventures" dealy. I can remember my wife saying, "I guess I will go on some trips with my friends", etc. If you end up getting to mountain bike your way, and get to return to a happy nest each time - Dude, then you have achieved the Male American Dream.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My wife will be going back to work this year after taking care of the kids for 8 1/2 yrs. This will free me up to pursue my 2 hobbies that I enjoy. I will now be able to have me time with out sacrificing family time. the one great thing about working shift is I get a lot of time off during the week.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    believe it or not the do your thing let her do her's advise is what worked for me. and no not for me to ride while she does scrap booking or some other thing. I rode trail 1-2 days a week and towed the kids another 1-2 without her usually while she did her thing 1-2 nights a week. After while she wanted to a go with on a rail trail ride with the kids, a little later she wanted to join me on my no drop group ride on her huffy comfort bike no less. she loved it. here we are a year later and we just took her trek 4500 into the shop for some work. The LBS wasn't sure they had the part in stock so while they figured that out we were working on plan B. We were down to the Redline monocog flight or paragon. She was looking for a reason to upgrade big time.

bottom line my letting here be and enjoying myself resulted in her desire to make her well used and loved mountain bike a back-up within a year. And she was not an active person before we met. But mountain biking just called to her when she was ready.

Go ride your bike let her be.

gravity fighter
    I will second the suggestion of renting a bike for your wife a few times to see if she will get into it.
    I did the "lets both get bikes" thing two years ago, and I think my wife has clocked about 20 hours of riding time in those two years (those have been a costly 20 hours).
    If I had it to do over, I would have bought myself a much nicer bike and just rented a bike for her on those rare occasions when the planets align (not too hot, cold, windy, etc..) and she wants to ride with me.
    Now don't get me wrong, we love spending time together, but when she agrees to go biking, there is that feeling of her doing me a favor.
    Theres nothing wrong with mountain biking being your thing. Enjoy your alone time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can not do everything together. Honestly, each person needs a hobby and time apart.
    ( this is not to be mean to anyone it is just how it is)
    I fish for fun,i also fish tournaments, I now MTN bike when I can. I have my own hobbies and so does my wife, even if she is not interested in what I do o well, she does her thing I do mine and we still have plenty of US time together.

Remember just because you are married does not mean you are permanently attached at the hip. This is an issue you need to sit down and talk about and it goes much deeper then MTN biking

pedal pusher
    Sounds to me like your wife makes the decisions. Get your balls out of her purse, sew them back on, buy yourself a bike, and go enjoy your youth while you still have it.

Drunk Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Sounds to me like your wife makes the decisions. Get your balls out of her purse, sew them back on, buy yourself a bike, and go enjoy your youth while you still have it.
    Interesting because I just read another thread on here about a dude who just had a vasectomy because his wife told him she didn't want anymore children. Seriously WTF is this world coming too? Men everywhere are just handing their balls over and turning themselves into something that isn't quiite a man anymore.
    =)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjamieson
    dont have sex with her until she goes on a ride with you. that'll teach her.
    Are we allowed to do that???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast