1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

How to get a Deal from your LBS

The title sounds kinda stupid but i think its a legit question. Reason why im asking i was at one of my LBS looking at a 2011 Cannondale Trail 4 and the guy i was talking to said that the bike was on sale/closeout for 600$ reg is 779$ sucks for me because i was just looking at the time. So i called back a week later to see if by chance they got a new supply in and the guy said they have 2 Trail 4 and a Trail 1 i think and when i asked the prices on the Trail 4 he said 779$ but a few days earlier it was on sale. I really want to get the bike but only if i can get it for 600$ i wish i would of remembered they guy who i was talking to at first but i totally forgot

AZ
    banned
    Try visiting the shop in person, nothing productive was ever accomplished over the phone.

mtbr member
    Mostly, you have to get lucky and be in the shop at the right time and be willing to strike while the iron is hot. Closeouts happen on the shop's schedule, not on yours. That's just the way life is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    When I bought my bike, its MSRP was $510, I did a little research to see what the bike was going for, for other people. I went in and told them I would like it for $450 and that worked. Just try to find out what everyone else is paying for the bike OTD and go from there. All they can tell you is no!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you can find someone who is also buying a bike, go together. LBS will likely give you both a discount if bought at the same time.

I got my C'dale F5 on clearance at the same time as a buddy of mine (Rockhopper). Total deducted was close to $100. Then when we picked up the bikes, another friend also purchased a bike at a discount (-$30), which incidentally, was already on clearance as well.

Huckin' trails
    Just go back and tell them that one guy apparently told you that this bike would be kept in stock for you, because you did not had the money last time (bank problem, etc)... Then if you are lucky, they will be happy to make another sale and you will come by later for more business with them

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Based on my experiences with my LBS, if the item isn't on sale any more...then its not on sale anymore. Last Oct I had a similar situation when I was buying my 2010 Cannondale F2, I saw the bike priced on a closeout special price on the web and in-store, spoke to associates on more than one occasion, even test rode the bike and when it was time to buy a week later.. the sale had experienced and I had to pay full price for my ride and accessories/gear. I even asked at the time of purchase about the sale price and they said sorry...Well thats my story... good luck with getting them to help you out. Maybe offering straight cash might get you 10 percent off...who knows.

mtbr member
    If they could sell the bike for 600 last week, they could sell it for 600 this week (maybe). Unless the new batch cost them more of course.

Go to shop.
    You - "What the heck! Weren't these bikes just $600? I finally saved the $600, and now they cost more???!!!"

Bike shop guy: "Yeah, that was a sale, but it is over. "

You - "Well I've got this $600 in my pocket right now and I'm going to buy a new bike with it, like today. What can you do for me? I really don't want to go shopping around to shop X, Y and Z. "

At that point, they might deal just to get your business and keep the other guys from getting it. Or they might not, but at least you will know that you tried.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There was never an AD saying sale just when i was looking at the price they guy was like oh since we only have 2 left they are both on closeout sale at 600$. I dont know its like the more i look online and in store i see another possibility, maybe because im a newbie but i dont know. Anyways not to drag on but i was looking at the 2012 Giant Boulder 1 and now im liking that who know anyways i plan to buy something this weekend wish me luck

usually cranky
    try crying a little bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No that I think about it more.... just pull a Randy Moss on them, they wont know what hit em.... tell the sales guy, "Straight cash hommie!!"

Huckin' trails
    Having cash ready always help... even more if you told them you might look somewhere else...
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Having cash ready always help... even more if you told them you might look somewhere else...
    Yea I thought about telling them I was gonna look somewhere else BUT it sucks that as big of a city I live in it's only 1 authorized Cannondale/Giant retailer. Everyone else sells Trek, Fuji, GT, Raliegh, etc. So I'm guessing that approach won't work lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    try crying a little bit.
    Yeah, and show a little leg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I learned my lesson, never buy a same year model that you're currently in.
    That helps, it's what I've been shopping around for.

mtbr member
    what! they are totally ripping you off... that bike does not sell for that amount, perhaps Los Angeles is different, but everywhere i've looked its selling for about $550 without sales...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    Yea I thought about telling them I was gonna look somewhere else BUT it sucks that as big of a city I live in it's only 1 authorized Cannondale/Giant retailer. Everyone else sells Trek, Fuji, GT, Raliegh, etc. So I'm guessing that approach won't work lol
    Then the web is your friend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeyJake View Post
    I learned my lesson, never buy a same year model that you're currently in.
    That helps, it's what I've been shopping around for.
    That's a good strategy, and a lot of people have that strategy, which is why the manufacturers are always trying to change stuff every year. 2011 bikes will be cheaper in 2012, but you are really going to want the new square axle they are coming out with next year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That's a good strategy, and a lot of people have that strategy, which is why the manufacturers are always trying to change stuff every year. 2011 bikes will be cheaper in 2012, but you are really going to want the new square axle they are coming out with next year!

So true. I'd love to have a 29er, but not falling for it. lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ldollard View Post
    what! they are totally ripping you off... that bike does not sell for that amount, perhaps Los Angeles is different, but everywhere i've looked its selling for about $550 without sales...
    Must be nice to be in LA i can't even find a trail 4 online for 550$

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ldollard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reice05 View Post
    Must be nice to be in LA i can't even find a trail 4 online for 550$
    Yea that bike goes for 5.5 around here ... Incycle.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007E View Post
    Yea that bike goes for 5.5 around here ... Incycle.com
    beat me to it, curse you

http://incycle.com/product/cannondal...sl-4-17435.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I tried in my area and it sucked. Had cash in hand told them im buying today, no one cared. they would only match competitors which pretty much had similar prices. Pretty pathetic I'm more then likely going online for my bike when just a little customer service would have earned my business. Guess they're all so successful and don't need it.

mtbr member
    op, just go to the shop and be honest. tell them this bike was $600 last week when i spoke with another salesperson. can i get it for that same price today? i have cash and would like to walk out with it. the worse they can say is no but if they really had it for $600, they can go that low again- unless of course, as another poster pointed out, they had to pay more for it from the manufacturer for some reason. doesn't hurt to try. good luck!

the part that's concerning is it sounds like this bike is $550 elsewhere so $600 really isn't the best deal. better than $700+ but maybe they're marking up prices a bit.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well the price people are quoting for 550$ is a store in Cali but due to whatever reason it cannot be shipped and I live on the east coast. On the Cannondale site the the msrp is 775$ so 600$ isn't a bad price but I guess the west coast folks get a better deal since they can justdrive to the store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast