1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

how to fix a smelly helmet?

i bought my bike at the end of april and also picked up my helmet at the same time. altely i have been noticing my helmet pads stink due to absorbing all the sweat. what do you guys do to get rid of the smell? i was thinking about taking them off and throwing them in the wash but idk if thats the case.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If they are small And thin you may lose them in the washer, try cleaning them by hand. Perhaps spray some febrese would be a quick one
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon
    • OEM Spec

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I never remove them - just rinse the helmet with water every few rides. I've also dunked the helmet in a sink with water and a little mild detergent and rubbed the pads, then rinse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_NiHM View Post
    If they are small And thin you may lose them in the washer, try cleaning them by hand. Perhaps spray some febrese would be a quick one
    They make laundry bags for stuff like this. Its basically a mesh bag I think for pantyhose and stuff. But it works great for helmet pads too. Otherwise just wash them by hand and let them dry in the sun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've always used Motorex Helmet Care spray for my motocross stuff in the past. Works great and is available at most motorcycle dealerships/ part shops. It should work the same for bike stuff

Hermit
    Easy to deal with. Pull them out and get them wet with hot water in the sink, add a squirt of hand soap and wash. Wring 'em dry, then set in the sun. Do this every week.

There is a small amount of fat in sweat. The water part evaporates and leaves the rest to get rancid. Pretty rank.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I remove the pads, put them in a mesh bag for delicate stuff and toss them in the washer. I'll occasionally rinse out the helmet with water and let it air dry.
    Last edited by marpilli; 07-21-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

What bruise?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    I never remove them - just rinse the helmet with water every few rides. I've also dunked the helmet in a sink with water and a little mild detergent and rubbed the pads, then rinse.
    +1 , quick and easy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon_NiHM View Post
    I have tried febreze before. It burns when it gets in your eyes so be careful. I thought it was ok till i started sweating and it started to get in my eyes. I just ended up buying a new helmet but it was worn out anyways. Since then I clean my helmets by filling up a 5 gallon bucket and soaking the whole helmet in soapy water. Then I rinse it out and let it dry.

R.I.P. DogFriend

Get the funk outta here!

This is one of those situations where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Unfortunately this is a little late for you, but NEVER put your helmet in a bag or other place where it can't breathe after riding. I believe that is how the funk starts in the first place. Same with your shoes and gloves.

DynoDon
    I take my helmet/gloves in the lake with me when I wash off the bug juice, then leave it in the cab of the truck so the sun can dry it and kill remaining bacteria, the gloves go on the dashboard, the shoes go in the bed of the truck, or elsewhere where the sun can cook out the bacteria. Works for me.. in the cold weather I just leave them in the sun, without the jump in the lake.. Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    This is one of those situations where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Unfortunately this is a little late for you, but NEVER put your helmet in a bag or other place where it can't breathe after riding. I believe that is how the funk starts in the first place. Same with your shoes and gloves.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

My shoes go on a shoe dryer and my helmet is aired out pad side up in a warm place every ride, any season. Gloves in the sun or immediately a dry place after a ride (on dash/defroster) or under the car heater. I've never had to wash helmet pads or shoes in the washer and they've never been funky enough to be a problem although I wash my gloves and head sweat rag or headband. Muddy shoes get hosed off as soon as I am home and go on the drier.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've always just tossed them in the gentle cycle. Seems to work fine.

mtbr member
    I take mine into the shower after really sweaty rides so the sweat doesn't get a chance to dry.

If the pads get stinky, I clean them with baking soda.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My helmet has Velcro and the pad comes off. If you bought the helmet new, it should have came with a spare just in case you can't wash the old one. Just hand wash it and hang it out to dry.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Still New
    You just need one of those pine tree air fresheners they sell for cars and hang that in your helmet. I personally prefer the strawberry.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I always make sure to replace the old stinky sweat with new sweat as often as possible.

Or try what jeffj said.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez