1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

How do you remove a headset?

How do you remove a headset from the head tube? I awnt to replace it. Can I get any brand of a threadless headset? Thanks

On MTBR hiatus :(
    This is the setup I used successfully for the past few years on a number of bikes.

(MkIII) Homemade Headset Tools...

Some folks use a long screwdriver and tap the cup out slowly. Or you can buy a proper headset cup removal tool for around $25. Lastly, there's the bike shop route, which is fine -- just depends on how self-sufficient you want to be.

The copper pipe trick was cheap to make, and worked great for every headset I've used it on except for steel cups. Prior to the copper, I made the same out of PVC pipe. The PVC breaks and needs to be re-cut frequently, but it's easier to saw than copper.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Cool tool! But you also need a tool to set the race. PVC pipe works fine for that, too.

To the other question: Yes, you can use a headset of any brand. Headsets are standardized. But you have to make sure you do get the right type of headset.

Integrated versus non-integrated
    Same diameter of the head tube - usually a 1 1/8 for MTB. Some have 1.5 though
    Compatible stack hight (in case the steere tube got cut very short)
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.