1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Going for a ride......

How do you like your cockpit?

I rode my husbands 19" Hardrock down the street the other day - it was set up with a "husslefelt" oversize riser bar & stem. It felt good on the triail but just felt wrong on the road.

Anyway I got my 16" Trance 3 yesterday & I've just swapped over the bar & stem. The easton bar & stem off the Trance seems to feel nice & stretched out on the Hardrock which would be good for on the road (and probably pretty good for xc I imagine).

The husslefelt bar & stem feel alot more responsive on the Trance than the stock easton ones did and seems to feel more comfy reach wise for me - I don't have the opportunity to go out on the trail for a few more days yet and I was just wandering what you guys and girls reckon? What are disadvantages and advantages of a shorter cockpit set up - would it still be good for long rides?

At the moment I don't ride for any longer than a couple of hours and just out on the local trails - I guess xc / dirt bike trails around the local mountains.

What bar & stem does everyone else run on their bike and what sort of riding do you do? Of course particularly interested what you're running if you've got a 16" Trance!
    energetix

ride hard take risks
    The stretched out cockpit is better for XC race type use. If your arms are long then it will be more comfortable to add a longer stem & even a riser bar. Bars come in different bends & sweep so ya it can be challenging to find the sweet set up. Shorter cockpit is great for tight singletrack & switch backs, get your head over the fork to help the front tire hook up.

My setup would cram you, Race Face Diabolus stem 70mm with Answer ProTaper bar 2in rise. Top Tube length 20 1/2 inch long, center of seat post to center of steer tube.

Need pics of your bike now.

Going for a ride......
    I would have taken heaps of pics by now but my Husband has the camera & he's in Perth until Monday, so gotta wait.

I've got the truvative hussefelt 60mm dh stem on it and the hussefelt dh riser bar - I think it's got a 35mm rise?? not sure. Like I said this set up feels alot more responsive & better around the street. I'll see what it's like on the trails, main concern is wether it would be a bit cramped on the longer rides - but I guess it depends on the terrain.

Pics will be coming - want to take some before it gets dirty! Real nice looking bike that's for sure!
    energetix

Going for a ride......
    I think my top tube lenght is about an inch longer than yours (centre of seat tube to centre of steer tube)
    Tip of seat to centre of head tube is just under 16"
    energetix

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006
    The top tube on my Attitude Comp is 23 inches, center to center. Add to that a Bontrager 120mm stem with 10 degree rise and 7 degree Bontrager Race handlebar. Put that package on a VERY stiff and light hardtail and you have the ultimate climbing machine.

On the road? Eh, not so comfortable. Slightly stretched out, ya know? I've never had a problem on the trails, but put me on a flat road and tell me to pedal 30 miles and I'm hurtin for certain.

I know it's been said that a longer stem and all that will make the bike handle less quickly, but I've never had a problem with that in 4 seasons. I don't have abnormally long arms, and I'm only 6' tall, so I don't know what the deal is there, I just know that it's comfortable for me.

Oh well. Tell your hubby to hurry up in Perth (a cute little town, by the way) so we can see some pics of the new steed.

Ross

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to post pics? Finally got some of the Klein and can't figure this out for the life of me. Any help would be great. Thanks!
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

ride hard take risks
    60mm stem? arnt you over 5'5"? My frame is a FR set up so it is prety compact & for the long ride it wears me out.

ride hard take risks
    [quote=MSU_Grad_121Ross
    P.S. Can anyone tell me how to post pics? Finally got some of the Klein and can't figure this out for the life of me. Any help would be great. Thanks![/quote]

If you scroll down a tad there is a section "upload images" click on that then you can upload off your browser. Im no expert on this stuff, my son tought me how. If you have Adobe Photoshop you can shrink to fit MTBR standards, i always use 600 fits perfect.

Going for a ride......
    Yes I'm 5'5". (169cm) tall.
    Wrist to armpit I'm 53cm (20.8") so I don't know if that measurement is significant but seems to coincide with the top tube measurement.
    Hey presto an easy bike sizing guide I may be onto something! Ha ha.

The easton set up - even thought both the bars measure same width, seemed to have felt kind of wider and the bike slower to respond. Been riding with the kids this arvo and feels nice and nimble around the cul de sac anyway - probably a bit on the quick side for the steering so I'll see how it goes on Tuesday - I'll definitely make time for a ride then (unless it's raining).

I'm guessing that women have shorter arms than men anyway (in most cases) hence I guess the top tube on wsb's is shorter?

Here is a pic of a stock trance 3 - probably a medium size of the giant website in the meantime - unitll I can get one up. I've been staring at this one for months!

To get a pic up (yet to do it on this site) all I know is you have to have it downloaded on the web somewhere and then open it up, right click on your mouse, go properties, and copy the whole url. Then when you are posting as normal click on the little picture symbol, and paste your previously copied url in.

energetix

Collector of Scars
    Feb 2006

Full Suspension?!

Yee-uck!

Nah, just kiddin. Sharp lookin ride you got there. Congrats!

Ross
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

Going for a ride......
    Hey thanks, even if you didn't like it it wouldn't phase me - after all some people like road bikes instead!!

Bikes seem to look different in person - sometimes better and sometimes worse too. I must admit that I struck some bikes off my list purely because I didn't like the look (eg I don't think much of Cannondales). Although I reckon most things can grow on a person - such as really fowl colours that some frames come it, you buy it, it grows on you and after that it's yours and you wouldn't change it!
    energetix

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    Hey thanks, even if you didn't like it it wouldn't phase me - after all some people like road bikes instead!!

:2::23:rrr:

Guess that stem might work out, hubbys going to have to be happy with his new setup. It could be the bars have a different sweep that is more comfortable.

That pic, has it been snowing alot?

Going for a ride......
    It only snows in one place in Australia and I doubt it was where the pic was taken. I think it's just blinded by the lights! I won't say anything bad about the pic cos mine could turn out worse!

In regards to the cockpit setup my mind is somewhat at ease now. I did one of those programs where you enter all your measurement and it spits out figures such as your ideal reach c to c and how hight you should have your saddle, what size bike you shoud get.

It came out with a reach of 625mm and saddle height of 67.99cm. Now my saddle is just below that figure - and before even running through the program I was thinking I should move it up a notch, particularly when I put my bike shoes on, so pretty much spot on there. And in regards to the reach - Effective top tube of the bike is 560mm (as quoted by Giant - my inacurrate measurement shows about that as well) and add the 60mm stem, that all equates to 630mm - pretty close to the figure that program spat out!

So now I'm reassured that the reason I find it more comfortable is because it's a better fit for me.

I'd like to run the same program for Hubby & see if he's got the right set up as well. When I had the Truvativ stuff on his bike it was while I was riding it in between of having sold my old one and getting a new one. He only jumped on it for a minute cos I told him to as I wanted to know if the new set up was ok for him, so yeah he won't even miss it! If he doesn't like the new set up I can always throw the stock specailized bar and stem back on there (25deg rise stem & slight backsweep on the bars).
    energetix