1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

How do I remove the chain from the bike?

Ok, no laughing, how do I remove my bike's chain so I can clean it. My old crappy bike had a link that was easy to open. How do I do this on my new bike?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    fi you lack a quick link, you'll need to get a chain tool and press a pin almost out and take the chain apart that way. parktool.com has instructions, as will basically every bike repair book ever written. it's fairly easy to do.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25
    there.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    double post. go me!
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/ , click on "Chain, replacement" on the left- very elaborate explanation, with pictures. And couple of tips:
    I always press the pin out of chain in direction from the frame outside. This way, it will be more convenient to assemble the chain after removing the broken link.
    You should try to press the pin out so that it stays in the outer plate. Which means, you need to stop and check often if the pin is already out of rest of the plates. If it still falls out completely, I use a small pliers(actually, some kind of Leatherman, but smaller) to hold it while pressing it back into the link.

pronounced may-duh
    no need to remove the chain for cleaning. You should be able to clean your chain while it's on the bike with a hose and a brush. It won't be like new but your just gonna get it dirty agian anyways.

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    Spend the $25.00 on a Park Tool Chain Cleaner...friggin' thing rocks!! It will clean and degrease a chain in like 30 rotations...lube it back up and the chain is like new!! I do this after 3 or 4 rides and love it!
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    last time i removed a chain i just used a sawzall :P

chain tool if you want to use the chain later, though!

...the wave won't brek
    Just have the bike shop put in a removable link.

This way you can easily (relatively) remove the chain for cleaning.

Repeatedly breaking you chain at standard links will likely cause premature chain failure so if you wish to remove the chain for cleaning get a removable link put in.

BTW go buy a decent multi tool with a chain breaker, get an old dead piece of chain form the bike shop and learn how to use the chain tool, because the last think you want to do is have to hike a bike out of the trail...

Good Luck,

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the opinions guys. I think I'll just have the bike shop put a quick link in for me. Hey xenon, I just favorited that site. I think that it might answer any question I may ever have for a bike! Thanks!