1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

How do I recognise these parts?

As I posted before, I have changed the cassette from 8 to 9 speed. Also I have changed the chain. How would I recognise if the shop has put the Deore cassette and chain? There is nothing written on the cassette and on the chain there are the following: "super narrow" "Taiwan", "Z wk" "KMC" and "Z" . No shimano writing on it. Is that Deore

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you paid your LBS for the parts and swap and its 9 speed, I wouldn't sweat it. You could pull the cassette and look for a model number on the back, but if you had the tools to do this you wouldn't have had it installed by your LBS.

Are you worried they put a less-than-deore 9 speed cassette on? I don't think there is one at 9.

mtbr member
    it should be write something on the cassette closing bolt...but there aren't 9 spd cassettes inferior to deore...for the chain he mounted you a Kmc chain which is a different brand from shimano

Custom User Title
    Look at the lock ring on the cassette. it will say shimano if it is one. The chain sounds like a KMC chain. they are ok. I don't like the "master link" they use. I pay extra and get top end of the SRAM line. Even the low end SRAM, to me, is better than any shitmano.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Freshly Fujified

Not much to tell

My understanding is that KMC makes chains for Shimano. I don't know if KMC actually stamps them with a Shimano signature, or just puts them in a Shimano box. As for the cassette, I think Jeep Nut hit it by saying there is no way to tell unless you actually saw the writing on the lock ring on the casette before it was installed, or are able to take it off and look at it. Bottom line, the bike shop's integrity relies on the fact that they put on the parts you ordered. Is it possible they didn't put on Deore parts? Yes, but I think it is unlikely. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks. From your post I understood that since it is a 9 spd upgrade I don't think they have put another cassette since deore is the lower for 9 spds.

Perhaps you'd be better off not having the shop changing something until you are able to recognize what exactly you are ordering changed. Caveat emptor.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique