1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

How do I measure handlebar diameter?

My son's new bike is a little big for him so I am going to get a shorter stem. The problem is I am not sure how do I measure handlebar diameter.
    thanks!
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: How do I measure handlebar diameter?

If there is a bulge where the stem attaches, 31.8mm. Otherwise, 25.4mm.

http://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repai...ebar-diameters

If you get by a Harbor Freight store, pick up one of their cheap digital calipers. I got mine on sale for $10.

Another idea: tighten an adjustable wrench on the bar, then measure the distance between the jaws with a ruler.

mtbr member
    I saw some dial calipers at Loews or maybe Home Depot for ~$18. Amazon has all sorts of digital and dial calipers with digital being cheaper and starting ~$12. A handy instrument to have in your toolbox.

mtbr member
    Just use a ruler or tape. The bar is either 1 1/4" (aka 31.8) or 1" (25.4), you can eyeball close enough.

Or remove the bar from the stem, many stems have dimensions printed on the inside of the clamp. You could also measure the clamp; might be easier than measuring the bar directly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You could also measure the clamp; might be easier than measuring the bar directly.
    Glad someone is using his head

mtbr member
    Thanks so much everyone!
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com