Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do I know if I'm getting good shocks with my bike? (1st time buyer of a mtn bike)

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Call_me_Clyde 
#1 ·
I had this posted in the "lets talk about shocks" section, but think it might be better here.

Manitou Axel Elite w/TPC Lockout | 100mm travel
Manitou Slate Comp w/preload, lockout, 100mm
Manitou Slate Super w/lockout | 100mm travel

Marzocchi MZ Race, 100mm with Preload Adjustment and Lockout
Marzocchi MZ Super Comp, 100mm with Preload and Rebound Adjustment

RockShox Dart 1 w/preload, 80mm
RockShox Dart 2, 80mm travel
RockShox Dart 3, 100mm travel
RockShox Judy J1 Adjustable Suspension fork
RockShox Judy J2, 80mm
RockShox Judy TT fork 89mm
RockShox Reba SL Air 29 | 80mm travel
RockShox Tora 289 U-Turn, 85mm-130mm with External Rebound Adjustment
RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air | External rebound, external compression and lock-out | Motion Control | 80mm travel
Rock Shox TORA 318 U-Turn, 85-130mm with External Rebound, Compression Adjustment and Lock Out
RockShox Tora 318 Air w/postive air pressure, Motion Control, rebound, compression, lockout, 100mm

I'm shopping for my first mountain bike and I'm looking for a good hard-tail in the LX/Deore/SRAM X-7/SRAM X-5 component range (around 600-900 bucks). The bikes I've found that meet the component range I'm looking for have a variety of different forks. I know nothing about suspension and have found little resources that tell me where each fork model rates on the hierarchy of quality.

So my questions to discuss here are:
  • In terms of overall performance/features/reliability, how would you rank the shocks listed here? (You can list your top 3 picks and bottom 3 picks.)
  • I am really interested in the REASONS for your choice.
  • Also, are any of the shocks listed here far above or below the level of LX/Deore/SRAM X-7/SRAM X-5 component range, comparatively speaking? (I really want to avoid having an all SRAM X-7 bike with a rinky dink front suspension that really belongs on a Wal-Mart bike.)

As for my personal riding situation- I'm 6 ft 0 inch 275 pounds (yes- I am a skinny guy trapped in a fat guy's body- working on changing this.:) ) I live and will be riding in Houston TX where there are no hills, let alone mountains, so XC riding is what I will be doing mostly) I plan to ride 50% on the road and 50% off-road on this bike as I will use it for transportation when I don't want to use my car.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would avoid these if you can:
RockShox Dart 1 w/preload, 80mm
RockShox Dart 2, 80mm travel
RockShox Dart 3, 100mm travel
RockShox Judy J1 Adjustable Suspension fork
RockShox Judy J2, 80mm
RockShox Judy TT fork 89mm

I dont know much about the other ones.

In that range you are looking at you can usually find a pretty decent fork. Also, I think you will find that most manufacturers stock their components and forks in around the same levels of performance. I think that if you are going to spend upwards of 800 on a hardtail it will come equipped with a decent fork.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums

I think I can help out with some advice here. (I'm 250 lbs) The forks you want to consider are :

RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air | External rebound, external compression and lock-out | Motion Control | 80mm travel
Rock Shox TORA 318 U-Turn, 85-130mm with External Rebound, Compression Adjustment and Lock Out
RockShox Tora 318 Air w/postive air pressure, Motion Control, rebound, compression, lockout, 100mm

The reasons: These forks have 32mm stanchions (tubes). Most of the remainder of the forks have either 28.6mm or in some instances 30mm stanchions. At your weight, anything less than 32mm is asking for trouble. They will flex, and in general are not made to perform under your weight. Secondly, the forks listed above also have a great deal of adjustibility. Everything from the the ability to adjust the amount of PSI in the air sprung forks, to the rebound adjustability and other things that will optimize performance. Lastly, the damping system in these forks has a pretty solid reputation for being plush. Only caveat I will file is that the Tora with 85-130mm travel had better come on a frame that can handle that radical a change in geometry at the 85 and 130mm settings. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one from any of the LBS or online manufacturers that can do this effectively, especially at your weight. There will just be too much stress on the headtube. You'll probably find yourself using it most effectively at the lower travel settings, IMO. Lastly, they would be fine selections to a build that uses the LX/Deore/SRAM X-7/SRAM X-5 components you would like to match them with

The remainder of the forks also have much more rudimentary damping systems, and not much adjustability. Again, I would just toss them aside and don't give them a second thought.

Just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the right ballpark with my recommendations.

Bob

#5 ·
A couple things to think about with suspension forks on bikes in your price range: weight, spring type, options/features.
Most forks on these bikes tend to be lower-end forks, meaning that they weigh more and have fewer of the features of the better, more expensive forks. A lot of them are very simple forks with no adjustments (or simply "compression" adjustments). Being big, if you get a bike with a coil fork (as opposed to an air fork), you'll most likely need the spring changed out for the "heavy" spring. Typically these forks are set up for someone in the 150-170lb range, so they would be too soft for you. If you're planning on riding on the road, you might want to consider a fork with "lockout," meaning that you can stiffen the fork so there's less bob while you're riding on the road.

Really what it all boils down to is what you want and what you're willing to spend. Also be aware that the forks on these bikes may not be exactly like the forks listed on the manufacturer's web sites, as most companies use an "OEM" specific fork or specify the options they want on their forks.

HTH

#7 ·
I would say your best bet would be The Rockshox Tora 318 air. For the road you will want something with a lockout. And air would be better since its lighter and you won't have to change springs.

Just for the sake of learning, front shocks are usually reffered to as 'Forks', while 'shocks' are the rear suppension on full suspension bikes.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for putting time in this post and writing what you want. It may sound silly. But it makes it alot easier in determining what is best FOR YOU

#8 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
I think I can help out with some advice here. (I'm 250 lbs) The forks you want to consider are :

Yeah, those would be my choices as well.

#9 ·
For your size I suggest you look at the Fisher Cobia. Comes with Tora 318, great fork, had one before I went the 20mm thru axle route. Price is right in your range. It is a "gasp" 29er! Being a tall, big guy for the kind of use you are talking about, I feel strongly you would feel much more at home on a bike with adult wheels.

29ers are far and away the fastest growing segment of the MTB market for lots of good reasons...

#10 ·
Good call

29erchico said:
For your size I suggest you look at the Fisher Cobia. Comes with Tora 318, great fork, had one before I went the 20mm thru axle route. Price is right in your range. It is a "gasp" 29er! Being a tall, big guy for the kind of use you are talking about, I feel strongly you would feel much more at home on a bike with adult wheels.

29ers are far and away the fastest growing segment of the MTB market for lots of good reasons...
Looks like he's already considering a 29er with a better fork (if I had to guess it's the Ibex Section 29 ;) ) in that this is one of his choices:

Now he has two (or more) to consider.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.