1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    FNG
    Aug 2008

how do I know if ...

How do I know if I can add disc brakes to my 2002 HR comp? I know the frame has mount points for the calipers but I am unsure if the hubs are disc ready.

This is a link to my exact bike. Thanks

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...005&spid=20843

Ride the dream
    Take a look at the hubs...
    Do they have 6 holes on the side to bolt a disc to?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if thats the exact bike... you need new hubs.

also go off of what englishT said

FNG
    Aug 2008
    sell it or don't sell it that is the question. I have a chance to get out from under this bike without losing much money. Make up my mind for me.

Ride the dream
    If youve had 6 years of fun out of it, and you can get out of it without much loss, personally I would.

The older a bike gets, the harder it is to sell it (most times), so the longer you wait, the harder it will be to actually sell it.

Then again - if you retired/sold her.. What would you want as a replacement?
    If its a higher spec fullsus or higher spec hardtail then its a great move. If you wanted a similarly specced hardtail (just newer) there would be a bit less point to it, but its really down to what you want.

Is there anything you really WANT to be riding?
    If its the bike you have now, dont worry about losing a bit later, and enjoy it. If theres something you have your eye one, then go for it and enjoy

FNG
    Aug 2008
    I haven't had it long at all. I actually bought it under the impression it was a lot newer than it is. I am not looking to upgrade too much but I would like disc brakes and a better fork. I grabbed this bike before doing too much research because I thought it was such a great deal, little did I know the sellar was lying about the year. I would probably replace it with either a trek 4300 disc or a new hardrock comp disc. Or possibly that Forge bike that everyone talks about.

Ride the dream
    What sort of riding do you do?
    Generally, Vbrakes only become a problem when youre riding quite hard, or in sloppy wet conditions...

That said, noone should tell you what you want.

FNG
    Aug 2008
    I am very new to this so I have only done a little bit of trail riding, I guess it would fall under XC.

Ride the dream
    If youre still relatively new, there aint much point changing....

But if you think you can do it without losing too much - who am I to tell you not to?

Generally, I would advise you to try not to lose money, and learn a bit more on a hardtail of some kind... And spend money on a more expensive bike (either HT or FS) later.

But really, its all up to you - at the end of the day, you're the one that will know what you really want to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Like already mentioned only you can decide what ur needs are.If you feel uncomfortable with the bike for any reason,and can get rid of it and get something more suited to ur needs then ,yea,go for it. Make sure you take a good look at what ur needs are going to be,and dont be afraid to "upgrade" to a different/better equipped bike that you can progress into.
    When i got my first FS i went with an entry level,but good bike. With in a year i was riding above that bikes capabilities and took a loss to upgrade to a bike more suited to my new needs.The more you get into the sport,the more you'll realize what u do and dont like/need. The most important advice i can give is make sure you get a bike thats sized properly to you!