1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    little bit of er'thing
    May 2006

How to....dirt jump?

switching from bmx to a hardtail, i had to learn to compress the front suspension before pulling up for a bunny hop. my bunny hops range from 12 - 18 inches. but i can't jump off a ramp worth a crap.

balance: first, i land tilted to the left. i know that will just be fixed with practice. but i'm guessing it has to do with my weight distribution from front to rear. which allows most control?
    should i be pinching the frame or the seat with my legs?

height: i can't get any height off the ramp like i can off a flat surface. i'm sure it has to do with when i compress the front shox, when i pull up the front, and when i lift the rear. once i figure it out technically, i'm sure i'll be fine.

please let me know what part of the ramp i do each of these three steps -- the foot, the top? what's the difference in the approach on, say, a 2 ft versus a 5 ft?

mtbr member

Get this book

Get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073...lance&n=283155

Their is an entire chapter on Jumping.

What you'll find in Mastering Mountain Bike Skills

Chapter 1 - Choose Your Weapon
    Chapter 2 - Become One With Your Bike
    Chapter 3 - Make Great Power
    Chapter 4 - Brake Better to Go Faster
    Chapter 5 - Carve Any Corner
    Chapter 6 - Wheelie and Hop Over Anything
    Chapter 7 - Drop Like a Feather
    Chapter 8 - Jump With the Greatest of Ease
    Chapter 9 - Flow on Any Trail
    Chapter 10 - Handle Crazy Conditions
    Chapter 11 - Race Like a Champ
    How Good Is Your Kung Fu?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Go fast at the ramp, start screaming, pull up at the end of the ramp, and hope you'll land it ok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by all2common
    switching from bmx to a hardtail, i had to learn to compress the front suspension before pulling up for a bunny hop. my bunny hops range from 12 - 18 inches. but i can't jump off a ramp worth a crap.

balance: first, i land tilted to the left. i know that will just be fixed with practice. but i'm guessing it has to do with my weight distribution from front to rear. which allows most control? Practice and pull up evenly, It may even help to purposely kick the bike out whichever direction you are comfy w/ to regain balance
    should i be pinching the frame or the seat with my legs? Not neccessarily

height: i can't get any height off the ramp like i can off a flat surface. i'm sure it has to do with when i compress the front shox, when i pull up the front, and when i lift the rear. once i figure it out technically, i'm sure i'll be fine. In my case it had more to do w/ confidence and not holding back at the lip, If you think too much it won't happen

please let me know what part of the ramp i do each of these three steps -- the foot, the top? what's the difference in the approach on, say, a 2 ft versus a 5 ft?
    You're approach will be aggresive on both but it is really about seeing it through and never panicking
    Good Luck, I am not as good as a lot of the dj'ers here but can clean them fairly well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It sounds like you're exaggerating everything a little too much.

As long as you don't suck up the lip the suspension will compress on it's own as you travel up the ramp. Then just stay relaxed and spot your landing.

I have issues with dirt jumps also but I've found the less I think about it the better I do.