1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

how to clean mountain bikes and when I have to?

Hey guys I"m a beginner and I wants to know how and when to clean my bike.

What could go wrong ...
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    when its dirty, after a real muddy ride. myself I keep my drive train sparkling, less wear on the cassette when the chain is not full of **** plus it shifts better if the chain is free. Make sure to check the rear derailleur cogs as the clog up pretty fast. Tooth brush works great for cleaning chain, cassette and cogs. The rest of the bike is personal preference, I love a clean bike just don't blast water into your bearings.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    I clean the chain very often with chain cleaner and degreaser, dry and relube. I hose the bike down if it gets muddy and once every month or two might pull the wheels etc and scrub it down with soap and a cloth. It's also a good chance to inspect things.

It's important if you're hosing your bike regularly or riding in the rain etc, not to put it away wet. I bounce it a few times and set it in front of a fan on high rotating the drive train after a half hr or so and flip it upside down. It'll keep water from sitting causing rust and you'll be able to relube quicker.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    I ride most days and in this British Winter weather the bike gets absolutely filthy every time.

To avoid spending my life bike cleaning, I pared down my post ride routine to the following, which takes about twenty minutes.

Wash bike down with hosepipe, using low pressure spray

Holding on to handlebars, bounce bike on back wheel to remove excess water

Spray everything with GT-85, except for the obvious brakes/grips/saddle etc

Wipe down bike with cloth to dry

Wipe chain with cloth soaked in GT-85 while turning pedals, then oil chain

Once every two weeks or so, I perform a more thorough clean on the bike.

After a whole season of riding, my bike still looks new and everything works perfectly on it. The chain shows little wear.

Rub it............
    I keep my drivetrain pretty clean. The frame I wipe down every couple of months, but it depends on how dirty it gets.

Usually after 1-2 rides, I just wipe down the chain with a clean rag and apply lube sparingly when needed - roughly 5-7 rides - then wipe off the access.

I can't remember the last time I hosed a bike off. Maybe 2 years ago after a muddy race.

If you stay on top of the light cleaning, heavy cleaning is not a regular thing.

mtbr member
    If you spray the frame etc with GT85 or similar then the mud comes off really easily.
    Plus it stops parts from getting corroded or rusted.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I too do a simple clean down post ride if I am going out again soon..... But at least once a week I strip it down and clean every part I can. Wheels out and get the dirt and mud out of every part I can.I wash the bike with warm water and car shampoo. Then the calipers are cleaned and pads removed so I do not contaminate the pads with oil or chain lube. Then clean and lube the chain, mech and cassette. I use Pocket Rocket not GT85 but I have a gallon of the stuff so it works out cheaper for me and still smells nice. I use a good Rock Oil chain lube or chain wax. Then a final wash to make sure there is no oil or Pocket Rocket where I dont want it. I then go over the bike with more clean pocket rocket and some wax polish which helps rid mud and dirt when I go out..

how to clean mountain bikes and when I have to?-photo-01-12-2013-13-02-56-1-copy.jpg

So it is no in bad condition for a 2010 bike still..... haha..

Redcoat

how to clean mountain bikes and when I have to?

I love cleaning my bike. I do it whenever back from a particularly muddy ride which is often. For main frame and general scrub it with hot water with a tad bit of dish liquid. Chain gets decreased and relubed. Use a toothbrush for hard to get to bits and moving parts. Always Shammy it after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks to all for the tips. I followed every advice and given me good results