mtbr member
    Jan 2016

How to buy a bike...

Hi. First post. I am looking at a 2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon S build. They retail for $3950. This will be the first bike I have purchased in many years. My question is: Is there negotiation or room to move on these bikes? Ie: No tax if I pay cash.? Or just a plain old discount?

I am paying cash, not using a cc or financing.

I purchase MX bikes all the time and just like any motor vehicle there is always room to move. But I wasn't sure on Mtb bikes. After all it is $4000 and it's not like I am buying a bike at Sport Authority.

Just wanted to to get some insight on what you all have done to get the best price for a bike you purchased.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Might be a little wiggle room, but not much. Dealers are often held to minimum price policies by manufacturers. The actual profit margin on a complete bike is surprisingly lousy, so don't be surprised in the salesperson is annoyed when you ask. Usually any sort of deal like that is approriate when you already have a business relationship with the shop for years and have spent a lot of money there in that time or you racefor the shop or some such thing.

Many, many keystrokes have been spent on the topic, but the LBS has a tough time remaining profitable for a variety of reasons, most of which are outside the individual shops' control. Expecting a discount for no reason really sets LBS folks on edge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the info. It helps...

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I was thinking about buying a Specialized. Due to some circumstances, I can get them at a good price about a hundred miles away. I'd rather spend my money locally, but given the pricepoint of the bike (still cheaper than yours, but pretty close) it would have been easily worth the drive. So I asked about it at the local place. I prefer to make others say "no," and not do it for them. They said no. A couple days later, they offered me a good price on a training watch, but still no flexibility on the bike.

If you need to spend less, let go of carbon or the spec or getting a 2016.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got 30% off my TBc ,but I've bought other bikes from the same shop.

mtbr member
    I was shopping new bikes this past October-November. The shops I spoke with were willing to knock 10% off, the fact I was also offering cash probably had something to do with it.

I ended up getting a GREAT deal on a 2015 leftover, incidently, a Tallboy CC XT build.

Besides color options, nothing really changed on the Tallboy for 2016. There still may be leftovers available. 30-40% off MSRP isn't unrealistic for leftover.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk