1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Horrible brake squeaking

I have a 2012 Trek Wahoo 29er with 160mm Tektro Novela mech brakes. The brakes were very squeaky when new but i figured id give them a chance to break in a bit before worrying. Ive hit the trails 3 times and rode maybe ~60 miles total and the brakes sound horrible. As soon as i tough the brake lever they let out a high pitched squeal and it never seems to go away. The front brake doesnt sound as bad as the rear, in fact most of the front noise goes away when the brakes get warmed up a bit. The rear sounds bad all day non stop and there is even a ring starting to form around the rotor which leads me to believe there may be an issue with the calipers?

Any ideas on what could be wrong or how i can fix the issue? I get a free tune up from Trek but im trying to get some more riding in before cashing that in.

mtbr member
    Well you can try removing the pads and sanding them with some wet\dry 600 grit sandpaper and cleaning with denatured alcohol. You will also want to sand the rotors with some 600 grit paper to get the glazing off. Remember never to get oil on the braking surfaces it will destroy the pads. If this does not do it I would recommend a new set of brakes because the tektro mechanicals are at the bottom when it comes to mechanical brakes. Something like Shimano Deore would be a good upgrade if you have the cash. If not you can try a good aftermarket pad like EBC but their is no guarantee that will do the trick and that will still cost like 40 bucks. You would be better off to just spend the extra cash and get the Deore brakes. However I use EBC pads on my bikes and I live them and they made my brakes quiet so maybe give them a try if you don't have the cash to upgrade.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/mountain_bi...es/index.shtml

Still New
    Yeah my brakes do this too. Squeal like mad and I also have a ring wearing along the outside of the rotor and in the middle.... It's almost like my pads aren't flat. It's weird. I have tektros too. Many people have recommended to sand them down but I just haven't gotten the motivation to do that yet lol. Let me know if you try it and if it works or not. I'm lazy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i have a 2011 wahoo. its not a 29er but i have a similar problem...i read on hear that some people put a small washer between the caliper and the bike mount and that worked for the most part. i will try to sand and soon and let you know how that works if i do it before you do

mtbr member
    i have the tektro's and they rubbed and squeaked like crazy.I sanded them and rode around my neighborhood and they worked for a while but then they started again.What worked for me was putting a washer between the caliper and the bike mount as mtbtacolover said.just fiddle around with it and it should be fine.

mtbr member
    The problem with the Novela's are that they have a ceramic pad compound, so unless your running a carbon rotor they'll squeak. I haven't looked too in depth, but I dont think they make any other pads for them.