1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Hiting the trails for the first time.

I really am a noobie. Friday night was my first time out on the trails. I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to gain some more endurance and some skills. Thanks to those of you that helped me out with some of the skills stuff by posting the great vids.

My first night out was fun, but rough. Went to a park and just grabbed the first trail I came across after leaving the parking area. Everything was hunky-dory for the first 1/8 mile, then it rapidly became apparent that I picked a trail meant for someone with much more experience. Very steep downhills with turns and drop-offs, and ridiculous climbs. After walking my bike up one especially steep section I finally got back to a place that I could handle. I still enjoyed it, but found it very intimidating.

Skipping ahead to Yesterday (Saturday) I decided I'd go back there and find a different trail and see what I could make of it. Wow, what a difference! Found a trail that was much more suited to a beginner/intermediate rider. There were plenty of obstacles, and still some good climbs, but the ups and downs weren't quite as steep as the ones I found before. It was a nice little 1.6 mile loop. The first time I will admit that there were two sections where I had to get off and walk it I didn't plan ahead and get a good line/gear for the terrain. The second time around I made it all the way!

All of that to say the this is REALLY fun! Hope I can find a couple of people to ride with, but either way finding a trail that fits your individual skill set sure makes it a lot more fun. Thanks to all of you who are willing to help out us newbies.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congratulations on your first rides. I'm glad you made it through that first one safely. You will be riding the more difficult trails in no time!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Thank you hey_poolboy for sharing your experience. I always enjoy hearing pure stoke from a new-to-the-sport rider.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

My bike is rusty..
    Jul 2012
    In the same position, good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good luck and enjoy the rides!!

I like mud
    Keep doing it and it'll get a lot easier and more fun very soon!
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
    Keep doing it and it'll get a lot easier and more fun very soon!
    i second this. that first loop you found that kicked your ass will be childs play in a couple of months, if you keep at it.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    All of that to say the this is REALLY fun! Hope I can find a couple of people to ride with, but either way finding a trail that fits your individual skill set sure makes it a lot more fun. Thanks to all of you who are willing to help out us newbies.
    Some advice from an advanced beginner:

I agree, matching the trail to your skill level makes it a lot more fun....and safe. I had a near miss on one of my early outings on a trail that was beyond my skill level. I was cruising through a sweeping curve in a fast section of trail and came up on a little drop with a huge rock garden descent. Stopping to walk the section wasn't an option at that speed on a steep downhill with no reaction distance. I was a goner for sure.
    Now I have a set of local trail maps for the areas I like to ride and talk to people about my rides before I go somewhere new. I am becoming familiar with the local trails and have a better idea of where to ride.
    By the way, the climbs get easier. I have an 18 mile loop I like to ride that starts with a 2,500 foot climb. I used to rest 6 or 7 times on the way up. The last two times I went, I made it to the top without stopping. I coasted and rested on the flats quite a bit but I made it. That took only 4 months!
    Thanks for sharing your story. Hang in there and be safe!

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    i second this. that first loop you found that kicked your ass will be childs play in a couple of months, if you keep at it.
    You really won't believe the progress you make the first couple months if you put in the work and hours. Good luck!

mtbr member
    I love stories like this. Remember keep your head up, look ahead and trust your bike. Keep these simple ideas in your head and you will be able to tackle those other trails in no time.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

banned
    Jul 2012
    Congratulations! Keep practicing; remember that enjoy the ride and you’ll often forget how long you’ve rolled.

mtbr member
    I'm new too and went on Sunday for my first ride ever with some friends that were fairly kind we did 12k round-trip other than my butt killing me all is OK, almost ate it once but was able to stay on the bike which btw guys is 2005 Cannondale FS v 500 I think? my buddy is selling for $500.00 any thoughts? My target is the Motbecane 450ht (new from BD)

It was a bit scary on the downhill but I'm way hooked, and can't wait to get my own ride! awesome awesome sport!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    It was a bit scary on the downhill but I'm way hooked, and can't wait to get my own ride! awesome awesome sport!
    2nd this feeling. New to the sport and loving it.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    "...the bike which btw guys is 2005 Cannondale FS v 500 I think? my buddy is selling for $500.00 any thoughts?
    If you get some more info that would help. I would also suggest that you create a new thread. Many folks will help. I believe you are talking about a Cannondale Super v 500. I don't even think it was made in 2005. This is why I suggest you get the specifics and then start a new thread.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    Hope I can find a couple of people to ride with.
    Glad you are enjoying it. Sounds like you've caught the bug!

You may want to stop into your local bike shop and ask about any group rides. Many areas have a standing Tuesday night ride or something like that. Its a great chance to meet other riders and that will help you learn the trails and maybe set up some other rides. Also, check for local groups in your area. Try the forums on MTBR for your state to ask for more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Keep it up! Like others have said, endurance comes quickly as long as you consistently ride. When your riding with other people, be sure to throw the ego out the window. Ride at your own comfortable speed. My buddy just started and about kills himself trying to show off/keep up.

mtbr member
    I've put 75 road miles on in the last two weeks. Always looking for hills and other ways to push myself. Endurance is already starting to increase, although not as quickly as it did when I was younger.

Definitely gonna ask around the lbs where I got my bike for ride guidance, and info. Found a local mtb org that I may join as well.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2