1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

hitch bike racks

Ok, after riding to my local trails (about 2 miles) a few times and feeling COMPLETELY unsafe with the traffic I have decided to get a bike rack for my car. I want to get a hitch rack and I was wondering if anybody has any experience with hitch racks. My hitch rack is going to be on a car so specifically hitch racks on cars? or thoughts about hitch racks in general...thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Why do you feel unsafe on the road?
    With confidence and experience you should have no problem riding on the road to your local trail. 2 miles is a very nice warm up before you hit the trail. You need to ride as if you are a vehicle (which you are) following all the rules of the road. Do not weave in and out of parked cars, and always make sure you have room before moving from the shoulder to the lane. If you don't have room on the shoulder of the road take enough of the road that cars will not try to squeeze past where there is not room. I commute nearly every day so these suggestions are based on my experience. I've had less close calls (no accidents) since I gained the confidence to take my space on the road. Hugging the curb like a scared mouse only encourages motorist to try to pass close.
    As for a rack when I do use one I use a trunk rack. They are cheap but not as secure as a roof or hitch rack.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    honestly, i feel unsafe on the road because of two reasons, one, sometimes i feel unsafe when i am in a dang car (yes, drivers are that bad here), two i live in san antonio (AKA fattest city in America) the drivers don't even care that you are riding a bike, they are wondering WHY you would ride a bike, they have absolutely no road etiquette. I really do love riding to the trails and completely agree about the great warm-up, but it just seems as though the possible consequences outweigh the risk. Even before i started riding, i realized that san antonio just isn't a very safe place to ride on the road.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    I have a 2" hitch + the Yakima KingPin4 hitch rack. It's very solid and doesn't wobble.

The good:
    1) Extremely easy access to the bike (unless a roof rack which requires some muscle to load the bike)
    2) Easy to remove when not in use
    3) A third of the cost of a roof rack system

The bad:
    1) Lowers your rear view visibility
    2) Depending on your bike and rack, it may cover some of your tail lights.
    3) Recommended for at the most 3 bikes. It could fit 4, but it's going to be very very tight.

From what I have seen and heard, hitch racks don't affect your MPG as much as roof racks, but roof racks are the BEST way to go for long trips (because they are super stable).

I bought mine online for like $180 w/ free shipping.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

mtbr member
    i had the saris cycle on rack nice rack but very heavy and bulky. i also had the thule t2, i didnt care for it for several reasons, check my posts and you will see why. i now have the swagman xc 4 bike carrier and i love it. i got it on ebay for a sweet 239.00 shipped! check my review with pics...

swagman xc 4 bike experience really good, i like it alot...

ride hard take risks
    The Rack!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Element Of Choice
    I added 1 1/4 hitch to my car and found a hollywood 2bike fork mount on ebay that sold for 200 and I got it for 45.00 shipping and all.
    A man looks into the abyss. Thereís nothing staring back at him. At that moment, a man finds his character. And thatís what keeps him out of the abyss.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Hollywood Rack

I also have a 1 1/4" hitch with a hollywood rack on my car (subaru impreza sedan). I wouldn't put more than a 1 1/4" hitch on a car. any rack that plugs in to a 2" is going to be too heavy for the rear end and maybee affect clearance. (think about a 30-40 lb hitch rack plus an additional 25-30 lbs per bike. thats heavy for a car)

The hollywood rack is a lot like the saris only it's lighter and you have ot take your front wheele off to use it(I call it the poor mans saris). I also don't think they make the hollywood any more. if you can find one they are great. I bought one used as well. although it's funny how they are not really "used".
    Pain is mind over matter,
    if you don't mind it don't matter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The Rack!
    bro, by any chance your bikes a azonics? or a xtension? i ride a xtension xgorge here in malaysia....great ride!