1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hip/Side protection when falling sideways

I recently changed to clipless pedals (50/50) which I like a lot. I still can't always clip out in time. Today I fell to the left and landed on almost the same place I hit last week. I am sure I will have a big bruise tomorrow at the side of my skinny ass (a few inches below the hip). I wish I had some more built in cushioning! I am wearing race tights (but ride MTB) and was wondering if I should buy something with more protection....any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I fell once that way while learning to ride with clipless in the driveway. A slo-mo fall on my left hipbone. Lucky for me it was the first test of my new padded riding shorts from Troy Lee. Even with the padding, it was a little sore, but could have been worse. Padded shorts good. Hipbone fracture bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Which bike shorts do you have from Troy Lee. I had a look and they seem geared more towards motorcycling. I am looking for something that is not bulky, basically lycra shorts with built in or removable padding along the sides....used to have shorts like this many years ago but have in the meantime given them away. :-(

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try loosening the cleat spring to get out easier.

It should only take a week max to get into it.

Something just doesn't sound right.

Axles of Evil
    Check out www.skeletools.com or www.rockgardn.com. Both have a impact/padded shorts available. I agree with jeff, check out or have someone check the tension screw on the pedals. Start with the tension backed all the way out. Increase the tension as you get used to it.
    BTW, the padded shorts are really bulky for typical riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have the tension already down to the lowest (before the screw falls out) but it is still quite strong. If this is supposed to be the lowest I hate to think what the higher settings are like...perhaps I need to have this checked by a pro. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just remembered that I bought my shoes first and got the Shimano uni directional cleats (they told me that cleats are always extra and not included with pedals/shoes) which they installed straight away and which I have been using ever since. When I bought Shimano pedals a little later they came,surprise surprise, with multi directional cleats. I think I will change them over now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check for interference between the shoe sole and the pedal, also the cleat and the shoe.

I ride with mine (unidirectional Chimaon SPD) set at #2 from loosest, I actually can pull out on a really hard drive on 1.

I would get it checked out.